Prologue

Tapping your pen against the corner of the notebook, you hummed a small tune to yourself while the TV hummed in front of you. Damn, this was boring.

Your mother had left maybe two to three days prior, saying she needed to go on a business trip to Ebott City to try and secure ties with another branch, or something like that. Honestly, it wasn't really important to you. You could be alone in the house, that was what you mainly cared about. And on top of that, no college!

It was the summer break currently so you didn't need to worry about catching up with some notes about your programming course. To be honest, it was all shit to you, but oh well, the course being on your CV gave you enough motivation to drag yourself to that class when it rolled around. Though you highly doubted that you'd actually get into a career that needed those skills from the long-winded lectures from the teacher who obviously didn't want to be there.

Looking back to the blank pages, occasionally interrupted by a strange doodle or scribbles from previous attempts at a small story, you groaned inwardly. It was a small "quest" given to you by one of the only people you'd consider "decent" at that college.

He was wanting to create a game, but didn't have a good plot in mind so nothing had really been lifted off of the page and into binary. You had been gracious enough to lend a hand, but only now realised how ridiculous it had been to speak up. You'd never get this done.

With a quick motion, you snapped the notebook shut and laid it on the couch cushion beside you. You could think about that later.

You stood up and stretched, the blanket from your night of sleeping on the couch falling off of you and onto the ground in the process while your bones popped. The TV was currently on a commercial break anyway, so you decided to go make yourself a cup of coffee. It's not like you were properly paying attention to the crap that was on, but it served for good background noise and the casual appearance of some inspiration.

Stumbling awkwardly into the kitchen, you rested your hand on the counter and looked over to the TV which was still showcasing some kind of new car. How interesting. You rolled your eyes and turned away to prepare your drink when the news flash sound emitted from the screen. You stopped what you were doing and backtracked to the counter to lean over and look at what was going on.

A news presenter adjusted her papers on her desk before looking to the screen. "Morning citizens of (T/N), we have just received word that monsters have been seen making their way down from mount Ebott and will be arriving in Ebott city shortly. Stay tuned for any developments." She said before it flicked back to the car advertisement. You stood there with a mix of shock and fear at the news. Mom was there for her business trip! You were already against her going to Ebott City due to the recent spike in crime rates, but having beings that you didn't even understand there made it even worse! You began overthinking, every possible situation playing in front o of you as you helplessly stood with your nails digging into your scalp.

Your breath hitched and you shook your head quickly to discard the thoughts. While some could come true, it was a very quick conclusion to jump to, especially since no one knew the monsters' initial motives. But she was all you had left.

I never knew my father. Apparently he ditched us a long time ago.

This was very true. You never knew him and your mother would never talk about him. The only time you dared to ask when you were maybe about 11, she had simply said "scum like him do not need to be remembered" and that was that. You knew not to push your mother, so the topic of your father was never brought up again.

To say that you wanted to know him was a lie. Your mother was usually a very cheerful individual who seemed to brighten up any room. If your father made her that unhappy that she'd refuse to talk about him, then he was someone you didn't want to know. But the curiosity never subsided anyway. Even though your mother was sweet, she was as bad a liar as you were. She would often scold you for lying, then not five minutes later, lie herself. Hypocrite.