~ Second Chapter ~

The morning sun's rays gently caressed Mahiru's face. He slowly opened his brown eyes and stared sleepily at the ceiling. Ninth Servamp? Was it all a dream? Suddenly he sat in the bed and rubbed his eyes. He looked to the right and saw the black cat in his basket. His eyes flew to the clock.

"Shit..." he said loudly, jumping out of bed.

He left the room together with Kuro in his hands. Kuro was now wide awake. He placed him, not very gently, on the couch and ran to the kitchen. In the kitchen, he noticed some movement. He looked at the desk and saw the white kitten.

"Good morning, Mahiru." she said softly with a smile.

She opened her red eyes and jumped on his shoulder. So, he did not dream it. Suddenly the conversations of yesterday returned to his head.

"What are you doing here, Tiger?" Kuro muttered wearily.

"It's a long story, Sleepy Ash." the girl sighed. "Let's just say we have problems."

Kuro tilted his head, and Mahiru sat on the bed. He looked at the girl who was still sitting on a small table.

"What problems?" asked Mahiru.

"Let's just say that the vampires appeared." she said, and looked significantly at Kuro. "New vampires... No Subclass."

Mahiru looked at Kuro. There was a shock on his face. Otherwise, he always had an expressionless face. What is actually Subclass? Subclass is a vampire that Servamps create by giving their blood to the dying ones. Those vampires must listen to their Servamp's commands.

"Impossible..." Kuro said, gritting his teeth.

"Unfortunately, it is." she said. "That's why I need the help of others. All of you, though I hate to admit it."

Mahiru blinked several times before getting out of the thoughts of yesterday's conversation. He felt the weight on both shoulders. He turned and looked at Kuro on his other shoulder.

"Mahiru, are you all right?" he asked, raising his eyebrow.

He gently nodded and smiled.

"I was just thinking." his eyes flung back to the clock. "Shit, I'll be late."

He started wandering through the apartment, getting ready, brushing teeth, and storing books in a school bag. While he was doing that, Kuro and Tiger watched him from the couch. They followed him with their eyes from left to right, quietly chatting.

"You okay?" asked lazily Kuro.

"Yes, of course. Why would not I be?" she asked with a smile.

"We have not seen for many years..." muttered Kuro and looked at her with his red eyes. "You sure you're okay?"

She nodded, but she did not look back. Kuro was watching her.

"That was not our decision. The rest decided so." she said quietly and smiled at him.

Kuro suspiciously nodded at the time when one's hands lifted them in the air.

"Let's go, I'll be late!" he exclaimed and put them in the bag.

"You know, you do not have a contract with me. You only have with him..." Tiger reminded him and blinked several times.

"It does not matter, would not you feel lonely if I left you in the apartment yourself?" smiled Mahiru. "And after all, you can make Kuro company while I am in class."

"Such a pain..." muttered Kuro and leaned his head to the edge of the bag.

Leaving the apartment, Mahiru almost collided with the girl across the hall. They paused for a moment looking at each other. She had bright pink eyes and straight long, brown hair. Her bangs neatly fell on the forehead.