Ch 6 - Social Engagements and Set Downs

Start from the beginning

His chest rose and fell a touch more aggressively as he struggled to control his ragged breathing. Rosannah was delighted the effect her words were having on him.

"Your protective behaviour this evening has pleased me greatly." She furtively gazed about the room without truly noticing anything but her magnificent husband before leaning closer as if she was about to share a secret gossip. He angled his ear towards her, tension was visible in the cords of his neck and she knew he was using almost all of his control to prevent his face from reacting to her words. It was truly most amusing.

She lowered her voice even more, "And I feel so grateful and passionate about what you have done that when we return tonight I intend to str ---"

"Ahem."

A delicate cough interrupted them and she fairly jumped as Henry roared loudly, "WHAT?"

She glanced about the room and saw several stunned faces. Ignoring them, Henry glared at the hapless man who had interrupted them. It was one of her odious cousins and she was ashamed to say she felt inappropriately pleased at his terror.

He was shifting from one foot to the other in nervous anticipation. Rosannah knew his desire to elevate himself was paramount, and in coming over, he was clearly wishing to use her husband to that end.

Her personal experience of his aspiration for superiority was that he put her down at every opportunity throughout their entire relationship. He had seen her parents' belief that she had nothing to recommend her and had delighted in insulting her regularly to engender his  amusement as well as theirs.

It was shocking that he had come to introduce himself to a man of higher rank, it was always the higher that asked to meet the lower, but she supposed he was relying upon their family connection to overlook societal dictates. Despite a vindictive part of her that desired to see him set down, she gave him what he wanted, for she hated to see anyone embarrassed when she could prevent it.

"Your Grace, this is my cousin, Baron Beauregard. He is on my mother's side." She formally introduced them and it dawned on her that she had not seen her parents as yet.

Sudden terror clawed at her innards. They would not be happy - indeed, they would consider themselves slighted by not being sought out first. Familiar dread flooded into her heart, despite vainly trying to reassure herself that she would not be returning home with them, so it should not matter.

"B..B...B," she paused, taking little puffs of air. Her cousin's eyes lit up maliciously at her misstep. Rosannah forced herself to inhale slowly, then breathed out the same way. Her husband's curious gaze was upon her and she realised she had committed her first punishable offence.

The come-down from such a high was painful. Swallowing back tears with iron determination, she held her head high.

Beauregard was watching her with a sneer on his face. She knew he would tell her parents of this but reminded herself they held no power over her now. She met his look with a steely gaze and took another deep breath before continuing, "B...B..Baron Beauregard, this... this ... ... is His Grace, Duke of Amberly."

Her cousin bowed obsequiously and Henry looked down his nose at him with narrow eyes. It was obvious that he instantly disliked him, though she could not imagine what would cause such a hasty reaction. She supposed her husband resented the interruption and took offence to her cousin's impropriety.

"It is an honour to meet you Your Grace," her cousin smarmed, unaware of her husband's mood, "I hope Cousin Rosannah hasn't disappointed you already."

The words barely registered with Rosannah, she had suffered a lot worse at his hands, but Henry drew himself to full height and bristled with rage.

"You will address my wife by her proper title," he snarled, so viciously that Beauregard stepped back with a look of fright on his face.