At Sea (flash-fiction)

I can't sleep. The noise is driving me crazy.

I thought a weekend alone on the beach was a good idea.

I was wrong.

The first night wasn't too bad - A quiet pulse somewhere in the vicinity. It could've been the crashing of the waves hitting the rocks. But then, things escalated.

Slowly but surely, the rhythmic pulse got louder and LOUDER! From pulsing, to thudding, to HAMMERING - An ear-splitting madness!

Sleep deprived, my head feels like a ticking bomb. I trample outside towards the abandoned dock. it feels like a hotspot for the mysterious noise. I can sense the vibrations under my feet.

Something's going on underwater!

I'm not a bad diver, but I only got my goggles.

Well, I can hold my breath.

SPLOSH!

I glide down the water, mesmerized by the scene: a sunken ship, its body intact as if it's ready to sail on the ocean floor.

I swim closer...

The sound is pulling me in. It hurts my skull, but I can't resist its hypnotic effect.

I can hold it a couple more minutes.

Pushing closer to the ship, the noise is thundering in my ears.

My chest is getting tight.

One more minute…

I glimpse a shiny chest. The reflection blinds me, but I'm sure as hell it's the source of the noise.

My lungs ache, but I flap my limbs faster.

As soon as I touch the chest, I hear a muffled metallic groan and searing pain explodes in my face.

The world turns black…

.

.

.

.

My eyes flutter and I stretch in bed.

Is my head pulsing too hard? Or is it the crashing of the waves?

Ahh! I hope this Vacation never ends….

***

Written for flash-fiction-forum