"Kind of a similar situation to me, then."

"Hey, I just want to say thanks for standing up for me today, when that guy tackled me."

That guy. Jake.

"Sure," I shrug. "It was a cheap shot."

"Cal!" A voice yells out through the back door. "You're up!"

I glance to the sound, before looking back at Rhett. "Want to come inside and meet my friends?"

"Okay."

I lead Rhett inside, towards the beer pong table that's been set up. Thomas and Grant are at one end, with two girls downing their drinks on the other.

"You're up to verse the champions!" Thomas grins. "Hey man," he suddenly says, realising I'm not alone.

"Hey," Rhett says politely.

"Rhett, this is Grant and Thomas," I introduce them and Grant is beaming when he shakes his hand. I ignore his suggestive looks as we take our side of the table.

"You know how to play?" I ask.

"Watch and learn," Rhett grins back, picking up the pink pong ball.

The cups are filled with our drinks and the game is ready to commence within a minute or two.

With an efficient flick of his wrist, Rhett sends the ball straight into our opponent's cup.

"Nice," I compliment in surprise.

"Not just a pretty face," he jokes.

"Clearly," I smile.

I already knew I was pretty good at this game but with Rhett on my side, we eliminate the team within minutes.

"You're going to be crawling home tonight," I tease Grant who skulls his fourth drink.

"Seems like it," he grunts.

I turn to Rhett. "Where did your friends end up?"

He points to the two boys he arrived with, both of them with a girl. I nod.

"Cool, they're keeping themselves entertained, then."

"Looks that way."

Grant, being the competitive player he is, demands a rematch. During the game, I take a moment to appreciate how easily Rhett just fits. He gets along with everyone, keeps up with our drinking and most importantly: is just as sarcastic as we are.

"I'm going to the bathroom; you cool here for a minute?" I ask.

"Yep," Rhett replies.

I'm washing my hands in the sink when the door opens. I exhale. I'm not surprised, at all, that Jake has followed me.

"Nice play," he says. "You get my attention. It worked. You can send him home now."

I shake my head. "Wow. Can you be any more conceited?"

"We have to stop meeting like this," he jokes as he walks towards me.

"Jake, don't," I side-step him. "We're done, remember?"

"That's just us, Cal. We say dumb shit but we don't mean it."

"Maybe we do."

He grabs my hand and I wrench it away.

"Cal," he frowns, reaching for me again. "What's wrong?"

"You know what's wrong. Go find someone else to entertain you. I'm withdrawing my application."