(01)-Ellery Grace Wilson

Start from the beginning

      Why, out of all the places we could've moved, he chose Hipridge?
~~**~~
      You look nice. 

      I marked him a glance as I bit out of my breakfast taco with egg, sausage, potato, and cheese all curling steam in front of me and warming my cheeks. My stomach hummed with satisfaction as flavor erupted in my mouth and slid down my throat. We'd always loved Taco Bell, no matter what town we were in. 

      I'd slipped on something quickly, a deep red sweatshirt hoodie, dark denim jeans, and black ankle boots. I didn't have time to dust on makeup, hadn't even thought about it until realizing I looked like a sleep-deprived working-mom moments ago. Even if I hardly ever wore make-up as it was. At least I'd been able to tame my curls and get my pale blue eyes to brighten up. 
Thanks, so do you. 

      Don't stress it, you'll be fine. Your interpreter should be waiting by your locker. Her name is Rhonda. I've met her, she's super sweet. I pressed my lips tightly together and lifted my knees onto my seat, roping my hands around them, watching as all of the girls and guys cruised by with backpacks slung on their backs and bright smiles on their faces, I lowered into my seat and hid. Don't do that, Els

      Don't what? I signed shakily, pressing my hands back onto my knees immediately afterward.
Don't curl up and do that, it means your uncomfortable or nervous and I don't want you to be uncomfortable or nervous. It makes me feel guilty for making you go today and you have to go.

      It's not your fault and I'm not uncomfortable only nervous. I just don't want to attract attention to myself is all. Having someone constantly stalking me around and telling everyone what I say or what people are saying. It makes me feel embarrassed. My hands began to droop and become lazy after all the movement. I held my breakfast taco close and took a few nibbles. I didn't bother dragging my eyes back over to him until I knew it was time to leave. 

      You should go, have fun and tell me everything okay? 

      A nod was all I managed. My palm gripped onto the handle, I glanced at Ryan as I bounced out and the fresh wind brushed my cheeks. I took a bite of my breakfast taco and trailed my steps forward, towards the school. He was gone when I looked back and I suddenly felt jittery. I rammed my fingers together inside my hoodie pocket to slow their jittery jerks.

     The school was smaller than I'd imagined considering there were only two or three schools in the entire town. 

      My steps faltered when someone crashed into me from behind and knocked me off balance. I went down with a gasp, my shoulder crashed into the pavement and my breakfast taco splattered mere feet away. I held myself up before my face could crash into the pavement but had my reflexes been any slower I'd be eating rubble. 

      Pain twirled in my shoulder.
      I might've let out a grunt.

      I flinched when hands enclosed around my upper arms and hoisted me up. A guy, probably no older than me, stood before me with wide eyes and an apologetic smile. I huffed and wiped the stray pebbles from my shirt and black jeans. Thank god I managed to throw my taco away before I fell. My boots got scuffed up and my breakfast taco was six feet under. I managed to draw my eyes to his mouth, he was saying something that seemed like 'sorry' or' pardon me'. 

      I wasn't terrible at lip-reading as long as the talker was slow and I was concentrated but my eyes had flickered to his lips too late and he was talking too fast. Words were often jumbled or appeared the same when I lip-read. It also made me tired and even then I didn't get every word correct. Guess and answer kinda situation. 

      I pushed him away and staggered back when it became too overwhelming for me. I decided to avoid us both from embarrassment and just walk away. Not like he cared anyway. So I gathered my backpack and slung it around my throbbing shoulder. His hand pressed on my shoulder but I shoved him away and stalked off into the school with hurried steps. 

      A feeling of rush prospered over me. People were everywhere...all around me. All were leaning up against lockers or speaking about things I couldn't hear. In trying to concentrate on conversations my eyes strained and my head pounded. I felt so isolated. Even though I was in a room full of teens, I was all alone. Vulnerable to my own thoughts. 

      The guy from earlier rushed in and I just barely caught his eyes for a moment.

      Without another wandering thought, I dashed off to the nearest bathroom and burst in. A few girls stared at me curiously as I strolled in and slammed the stall door behind me. Pulling down the seat, I slumped and squeezed my dark messed up hair. My head dropped in between my legs and my nails dug into my palm. From how my throat moved, a shuddering breath left my mouth. I breathed, I breathed, I breathed. 

      My eyes caught the three girls that were in here haste out. The bell must've rung. Great, now I'm late because I'll have to find out where my first period even was. I had no idea where anything was here. This wasn't familiar. Nothing was comforting. 

      Tears sprung my eyes for a moment. 

      I composed myself. I teetered out of the stall only to come face-to-face with a woman. She had long red braided hair and light brown skin. I staggered back in surprise until she beamed at me with her soft brown eyes. Are you Ellery Grace? She signed. I gulped. Yes...are you Rhonda? I signed back, slightly relieved and surprised.

      Nice to meet you, you're late for class girly. Come on I'll show you.

      Somehow her present, someone else that could speak ASL, calmed me. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.