Introduction

This is one of three books which I am writing on Washington's aides-de-camp which will provide links and book references to the letters of each person, as often I have found they have been spread across different platforms and can be difficult to locate.

This book shall contain as much of Tench Tilghman's correspondence as I am able to find, and will include annotations and tags to each letter in order to provide context for the people mentioned, events written about, and language used.

Each chapter shall include:
- A link/book reference as to where the letter was found.
- If the link/book does not include a transcript, a transcript shall be provided (a transcript key is provided at the bottom of this chapter).
- Metadata on each letter.

Each chapter shall be updated in two or more parts:
- First Update: Link and Metadata provided (transcript if applicable).
- Second Update: Annotations provided.
- Any updates after shall include updated information, such as more annotations.

If a chapter is missing a section of the transcript because it is illegible or crossed out, chapters may be updated an additional time when these words have been deciphered.

Key for the transcripts is as follows:
<---> = Illegible
[] or [...] = Section of text has been omitted or altered for quoting purposes*
<~>{1} = Word(s) ha(s/ve) been crossed out
<~word~>{1} = Word appears to have been censored
<sic.> = Incorrect spelling**

All spellings in the letters will be left the same.

I hope you enjoy reading, and good luck with your sourcing! I hope this book is able to help! :)

Citations for each letter should be provided on the site or in the books referenced.

*Rest assured I will only use this when quoting the text, and not in the transcript itself; I shall endeavour to transcribe as much as I can and will always use the <> symbol if a word has been left out because I am unsure what it says, and a screenshot of the word (if possible) shall be left at the bottom of the chapter. In terms of altering text in quotes, this shall only be used to change the tense to fit the sentence an embedded quote sits within while indicating this change has been made.
**This symbol will not be used in transcripts provided in this book, but is a common symbol in transcripts that may be linked.