Chapter 9 - Insomnia Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

After another big yawn, Erwin notes that it would be better for all to go to sleep. He lends you one of his shirts for sleeping before he gives you a slight kiss on your head for goodnight. To your big surprise, this is totally fine for you. There's no intention to make a move on you, no lusty radiation from him. That's the reason why you allowed him to get that close to you. It's strange, isn't it?

After he disappears into his room, you turn around to Levi to say goodnight to him as well, but he just stands up and waves at you. What is this again?! At the water park, he couldn't take his hands off of you and now he isn't even saying goodnight? Visibly offended and hurt by his behavior, you throw yourself on the couch to wrap up in the blanket. After all the lights in the room are out, you roll on your site. "Levi, you asshole....." you whisper to yourself before you close your eyes, slowly drifting off to sleep again.

After 2 hours of sleep, you wake up in the middle of the night, with the moonlight dimly enlightening the large living room and to your big frustration, nature is calling you. It's always the same after you drank wine... You really should stop drinking it but now it's too late, so you surrendered to your body, going into the bathroom. Once finished and on your way back to the couch, you hear a sudden noise from Levi's room. It sounds strange so you sneak up to his door and eavesdrop. You almost jolt back in shock the moment you listened closely to the noise because it almost sounds as if he's moaning! You're just about to sneak back to the couch as you figure that Levi wasn't moaning, but whimpering and panting heavily, repeating the word "No!" multiple times. It seems he's having a nightmare. With a deep and loud gasp, the noises suddenly stop and you hear his blanked rustling. He must've woken up. Should you knock and ask him if he's okay? He was so cold and unsympathetic this evening that you really don't feel like it but something drags you to his door. Pulling all of your courage together, you knock...

Levi's P.O.V.
~Again. The same nightmare. I'm getting sick and tired of this.~

I hide my face in my hands as I sit up in the bed, breathing heavily and trying hard to regain my calmness as I hear a sudden knock on my door. If that's Erwin again, I swear, I'm going to kill him!

"Who is it?!" I asked, but it wasn't Erwin who answers me. I heard a familiar and friendly voice from the other side.

"It's me, Levi. Am I allowed to come in?" What is Nina doing here at this hour? I sigh and thread my fingers through my hair.

"Sure. Come in."

She enters and in the darkness of my room, I barely recognize her but the white sleeping shirt she wears makes it a bit easier.

"Are you alright, Levi? I heard you. Do you need someone to talk to?"

Stupid Brat! Again she caught me in my weakest moment but I don't want to send her away either. I really could use someone to talk to, especially if it's Nina. She stands now right in front of me, but I looked down to the floor, where her feet are.

"I was trying to sleep but I couldn't because every time I closed my eyes I just......I just see it happening all over again." Nina sits down next to me and I feel my bed moving under her weight.

"What happened Levi? I'm here. I will listen to you if you want me to. You can tell me everything."

Silly brat...She says that now. But she can't help me. No one can.....but my mouth acts on his own and kept talking to her.

"A few years back, before I started to work as a bodyguard, I was a soldier. A captain with my own squad. We were sent out to fight in a war. During a mission, I got separated from my squad but before that happened, I ordered them to break through the hostile lines, no matter the cost. Our enemy had several hostages taken and our mission was to free them. I met up with my commander, Erwin, for reporting and reorganization as an explosion very close by caught our attention. We fought our way to the explosion and all we've found was devastation. My entire squad perished in this explosion. A suicide bomber surprised them and they didn't have enough time to withdraw. Somehow, Erwin and I managed to retreat but the fault was all on me. This moment, it repeats over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, again!"