Come Out and Play

Start from the beginning

"You don't understand!" Paul laughed as Charli positioned herself on his lap "We had to walk so many times just so the man behind the camera could get the right shot, it's hard work"

Charli laughed before kissing him. Paul stared at her a moment as the kiss ended.

"Tell me something kitten," he said as his hands rested on her hips. "When are we going to get started on making our own little family?"

"When do either of us have time?" Charli laughed "I'm keen for a bit of practice tonight"

"We practice nightly," Paul laughed softly "I mean it, I think we're ready. We're always going to be busy luv"

"I know," Charli sighed "I just worry that you'll always be recordin' and I'm just left to care for the wee one. I don't want ta' give up on me own pursuits"

"When did I ever give the impression that would happen?" Paul asked with a half smile.

"Easy, yer a Liverpool lad" Charli laughed "It's what our lot does, its what's expected. I could bring ya' to me mum, despite refusing to talk to her ever again, and she'd tell ya's the same."

"Seems everyone we know is a bit off from that stereotype" Paul laughed softly "I guess I used ta' think that's how it was supposed to be, but I knew in marrying ya's that you'd have none of that"

"I don't expect ya's to give up yer life," Paul continued "But we've been talkin' about starting a family for a while now. We always figure out a way to make things work"

Charli was silent a moment.

"I have been thinkin' about stopping birth control..." she admitted finally. "If we start tryin' for this, promise me ya' won't expect me to become a housewife"

"I doubt you'd let that happen!" Paul laughed "The way I see it, yer goin' to be encouraging our kid to hang off trees and perform stunts and I'll be the only one tellin' both of ya's to get down"

"Let me get through this showcase," Charli smiled warmly, "I think I'm ready for this if you are"

15 August 1969 4.01pm

"Alright littles!" Charli said over the group of children "That's all for today we...Maddie! What did I say about climbing silks when the teachers are talking??"

She stared at an excitable blonde girl climbing up a set of blue silks.

"Sorry Mrs. McCartney," Maddie said as she climbed down.

"That's better," Charli said as Nigel laughed under his breath. "Now, we won't have class next week as your teachers need a wee rest"

Charli looked up as the adult students featured in the showcase began arriving as well as parents picking up the children from class. She noticed Evie's usually attentive parents were missing.

"Evie," Charli said "Can you come with me? I want to talk with you"

Evie looked nervous, but nodded and followed Charli into the teachers' office.

As they entered the office there was a group of bean bag chairs in the corner.

"Have a seat," Charli smiled. Evie nodded and sat in a large, red bean bag chair. Charli went to a file cabinet on the other side of the room and pulled out a folder before sitting next to Evie in a green bean bag chair.

"Relax luv," Charli said noting Evie's nervousness. "I wanted to talk to you about the Christmas Land show and your audition"

"I do think you need a little more confidence," Charli continued. Evie sank.