Chapter 16

The feeling of something prodding me stirs me out of my slumber - a sharp pain shooting through my arm grabbing my attention as I regain consciousness. Prying open my eyes, I come face to face with Lucy - her eyes wide and a small grin on her face. Groaning slightly, I sit up and rub my eyes whilst bracing myself for the oncoming questions. Edmund and I had danced for quite a while last night before escaping the ballroom and making our way onto the roof - watching wit awe as the night sky was lit up with an array of fireworks in celebration of a new King. I'd fallen asleep practically as soon as my head had touched my pillow, but I knew Lucy would want answers - and I can tell from that gleam in her eye now that I am going to get them.

"So, dancing and fireworks with Edmund? How'd that go?"

Groaning, I shove my head in my hands as the warmth spreads down my neck and up to my ears - my helplessness causing Lucy to giggle. Despite this, I recount last nights events with a saddening heart - knowing that for me it meant the world, but for him he was simply spending time with a friend. Sharing a glance with the young Pevensie, I lean against her and we sit in a comfortable silence - the only noise can be heard from outside the room, from the bustle of the servants bringing the castle to life. That is until a loud knock echoes throughout the room, the noise causing me to jump slightly in surprise. Ignoring Lucy's amused gaze, I pad my way toward the door - opening it up a smidge only to frown in confusion as two maids appear in my vision.

"Sorry to bother you, your majesty. But King Caspian and the great lion Aslan have requested your presence and Queen Lucy's in the castle garden in an hour."

Utterly confused, I gesture for the two maids to enter - only know realising they both have two gowns dangling across their arms as well as a few hair products. Wondering why the two of us need handmaidens today and not yesterday, I sit down on the bed with a strangled noise of confusion. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Lucy looking on in just as much confusion - her eyebrows furrowing as both ladies bustle around the room, trying to get everything organised. As they do, I hear them both introduce themselves before one disappears in the bathroom and the other gets comfortable at the vanity. Sharing a shrug with the youngest Pevensie, I make my way to the bathroom as the blonde maid practically drags Lucy forward in order to help her get ready - shutting the door behind me in order to give everyone their privacy. Sending the redhaired girl a smile, Tansi I think she introduced herself as, I shuffle behind the dressing curtain that is placed beside the mirror - gasping in awe at the sight before me. Placed along the back of a chair is a beautiful magenta gown with lacing across the bodice and a lighter pink embroidered across the bottom of the material. Slipping out of my nightgown and into the dress with a haste, I sigh in satisfaction as it once again fits perfectly. The sleeves are rather long in comparison to what I am used to, but I'm not complaining. Slowly I step out from the dressing curtain, I hear a gasp of awe come from Tansi - a few words are muttered under breath but I'm too far away to make them out. Still, I send her a grateful smile before placing myself in front of the mirror - letting the redhaired girl get to work. We make small talk about this and that as she prods my hair, but something deep inside makes me miss Ara and Cleo - after all, they were never just my handmaidens but my close friends as well. We spent nearly twelve years together, and now I feel as though I'm abandoning them and that friendship. Luckily, Tansi suddenly stops prodding and lets out a satisfied hum - nodding to herself in the mirror.

"There you are, your majesty. I shall leave you be now, but if there is anything else do not hesitate to ask."

I send her a small 'thank you' before she exits the bathroom - the door of the bedroom shutting loudly indicating that Lucy's maid also left. Taking a deep breath, I admire myself in the mirror and the low ponytail that Tansi somehow made rather fancy. It suits the gown perfectly and I nod in satisfaction before making my way back to the bedroom - smiling as I watch Lucy spin around in admiration. Her green dress has small patterns on it that make it look as though it is decorated with flowers, her hair tied together with a piece of green ribbon. It makes her look young and innocent whilst also sophisticated - just how Lucy likes it. Suddenly, the young girl lets out an audible gasp - her eyes widening and a grin etching itself onto her face.