Chapter 12

"Cakes and Kettledrums! That's your next big plan? Sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest, alone."

Trumpkin's voice snaps at Peter, the shocked tone bouncing off the walls of the room. I jump slightly at the tone yet I am not surprised - this plan of Peter's is rather odd, even in comparison with the raid. Most of the people in this room don't even believe in Aslan, yet here we are sending Lucy in a search for him - very strange in the eyes of most. Peter however simply shakes his head, stepping forward slightly to command authority.

"It's our only chance."

I gaze across at him and see an apologetic sparkle dancing in his eyes, making me sigh in slight relief. Everything that has happened, Jadis and the raid, has caused Peter to finally change his ways - becoming the Peter we always knew him to be. Suddenly Susan's voice catches my attention - my focus drawn to her as she places a hand upon her sister's shoulder.

"And she won't be alone."

Eyes widening, I begin to protest slightly - unaware that this was apart of plan. After all, shouldn't I be the one to aid Lucy considering I also saw the great lion?

"What? You're going too? Why aren't I?"

Slowly my brother approaches me, placing his arm around my shoulder in comfort. I gaze up at him with wide eyes as he brings me closer - a sigh echoing out.

"We need you here to help the archers."

I huff slightly and roll my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest as I protest. Sometimes I wonder how I ever was sophisticated enough to be called a Queen.

"Susan's better than me though, everyone knows that."

Suddenly everyone in the room, including those I believed to have tuned out, immediately shake their head - a few scoffing in disbelief. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion just as Susan slowly approaches me.

"You're the best archer of our time, and you know it. Don't worry."

Groaning, I know she's right but I refuse to acknowledge it - my skills having gotten me into too much trouble many years ago. Despite this I keep my mouth shut as Trumpkin walks forward in the direction of Lucy with sad eyes.

"Haven't enough of us died already?"

A pang of sorrow erupts in my chest as I think of the Black Dwarf buried behind the How - his evil antics getting the better of him no matter how hard he tried to push them away. My attention flitters to Trufflehunter as he clears his throat, standing beside Edmund with a soft gaze dancing upon his face.

"Nikabrik was my friend too, but he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't, and neither have I."

As Reepicheap utters out a small 'for Aslan' which is echoed throughout the room, a small ounce of hope builds inside of me - my heartbeat quickening at the thought of us winning this battle. As silence envelops the small room, and the council shuffle awkwardly in their places, Peter's voice suddenly bellows out - myself jumping in surprise.

"We need to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back."

And just like that, a murmur travels around as ideas are thrown toward the High King - a few rather crazy and some not even worth delving into. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Caspian ringing his hands together as Cornelius rubs his shoulder in a supporting manner. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion until his voice echoes out - the murmuring halting at the noise.

"If I may?"

Sending him a small smile of encouragement, the Prince lets out a deep breath that is obviously filled with nerves.