Chapter 13

Wincing slightly at the loud noise, I try to smile at the Narnian's as I pass - ignoring the bubbling worry inside my stomach. A few centaurs send me a wave to which I return before gazing up at my brother - our footsteps in synch as we follow after the Pevensie boys. Even from their back profiles I can tell both are nervous, Peter in particular. Not that I am surprised, this is something huge that Peter never did despite being the High King for twelve years. As we approach the stone archway that represents the beginning of the battle arena, I see Miraz and his men already preparing - their gazes hard and movements steady. I gulp as we all come to a stop, hugging Peter slightly as the nerves increase.

"Please don't die."  

I mumble against his chest, feeling his arms tighten around me slowly. I may not have been extremely close with him in comparison to his siblings, but he is practically family and we have been through so much together that I don't think I could ever get over loosing him - no matter how much of an arrogant arse he was these past two years. Slowly he pulls away before snatching his sword from Edmund's hand - lifting it in the air which receives an intense amount of screaming. I smile slightly, proud of the Narnian's and the courage they have all shown before focusing Peter and Miraz - the two approaching one another with their gazes set on their opponent. Unconsciously, I notice myself fiddling with my fingers out of worry but before it can go further than that, I feel hands gripping mine tightly. I gaze up and see Edmund staring straight ahead despite his hand on mine - my cheeks flushing no matter how hard I try to get them to stop. Sending him a tight lipped smile, I focus back onto the battle at hand - the two males circling one another as Miraz scowls in the direction of us all.

"There is still time to surrender."

Peter, however, simply smirks whilst tilting his head to the side - antagonising the Telmerine slightly which is not a good thing. 

"Feel free."

In retaliation, Miraz scowls deeply before huffing in annoyance - I can see the desire to kill biting behind his sinister eyes.

"How many more must die?"

His words cause a shiver to run down my spine, especially as Peter pulls down his visor - indicating the beginning of the battle. I catch a small 'just one' from the boy before both males charge toward one another - Peter jumping from a rock in order to get the higher ground. My eyes dart from the two Kings as they each attack one another without mercy - a slight yelp escaping my lips as Peter is struck in the face brutally by a shield. Memories flood my mind at the sight, familiar situations burning my thoughts - those times Peter would battle an egotistical King or Andrew taking on the leader of the Rebels. Sometimes even Edmund would have a duel if necessary, which happened more often than I would like to remember. Suddenly I gaze up at Edmund whilst biting my lip - trying to think of the most appropriate wording.

"I don't think I can do this."

My words fumble out of my mouth quietly yet the boy seems to hear me perfectly - sighing in sympathy before squeezing my hands tight.

"You always did have a soft stomach." He chuckles before continuing. "Keep a watchful eye over the girls then, they could always use your help."

I send him a grateful smile despite the initial shock of the random joke at a time like this, gripping my looking scope tightly. As I bring the golden object to my line of sight, the sound of the duel fades away and I am thrust into the vision.

~

Destra canters throughout the the forest, weaving in and out of large trees and embedded roots in the soil. Both girls are smiling slightly as the wind whips their hair but a sudden shout scares them - the grins disappearing as a few Telmerine soldier's trot after them with their swords raised high and crossbows aiming sharp. Just as Susan kicks Destra to gain speed, I notice Lucy gripping tightly into her sister's waist and her eyes locking behind the two onto their attackers. Susan, however, manages to loose the small army through the mix of shrubs and branches - coming to a complete stop in an empty clearing. The sun is peaking through the treetops and is actually quite pretty, if not for the circumstances. Destra halts her movements just as Susan jumps off, handing the reigns to her sister.