Prologue

Goldenkit nuzzled closer to her mother's pale golden tabby fur. She overheard her mother, Speckletail, talking to another nursery queen about how she was worried for Goldenkit's brother, Lionkit. Goldenkit didn't know if her brother was going to be okay, and she was honestly worried. 

 Goldenkit decided to open her eyes for the first time, looking around at the world. "Oh Goldenkit, you opened your beautiful yellow eyes!" Speckletail meowed happily, smiling at her daughter. Goldenkit felt proud, until Lionkit squirmed around next to her and her mother gave all attention to Lionkit. 

Goldenkit groaned, and looked over at her denmate, Bluekit. "Hi Bluekit!" Goldenkit mewed. "Goldenkit, you opened your eyes?" Bluekit wondered. "Of course I did, do you think I'm seeing you with my paws?" Goldenkit giggled. "No!! I mean nobody thought you would open them." Bluekit replied to clarify. "Oh, alright." Goldenkit mewed, getting up and walking closer to Bluekit. 

"Hey Bluekit, do you think your mother Moonflower would mind if we walked around outside of our den?" Goldenkit smirked. "Of course she would! But let's do it anyway!" Bluekit laughed, until she felt a tug at her scruff. "Oh no, you're not going anywhere. You both are too young, and you know what happened to Mapleshade's kits!" Bluekit and Goldenkit groaned "But that's just an old she-cat's tale!" they whimpered in unison. "No, it isn't." Moonflower glared "My grandparents knew her and Oakstar." "Well.. I'm sleepy now!" Goldenkit shouted and ran into her mother's fur, falling asleep.