The Apartment

I arrived at the apartment complex. I walked inside the building to the front desk and was greeted by an old woman. She looked serious and expressed no emotion.

The walls surrounding me were covered in outdated wallpaper and decorated with framed paintings.

She guided me to where the elevator was. We both stepped onto the elevator and waited until it signified we were on the right floor.

"Ding!"

We reached our destination.

The doors slid open, letting out a squeaky, irritating sound. Like nails on a chalkboard.

I stepped out, looking at my surroundings.

The halls were dimly lit with a few of the lights flickering and buzzing. The walls were a hideous green with paint chipping off of them.

I stood there, becoming a bit uncomfortable. I could feel her stare burning into the back of my skull.

"Anything I can help you with?" She asked.

"No. But thank you." I smiled as she nodded and pressed on the elevator buttons.

"Don't stay up too late."

"Umm..Wha-"

The elevator doors had closed.

I was confused as to what she said but I didn't let that bother me and just went on.

I walked through the hall, glancing at each door, searching for apartment number 340. The hall was silent. The electrical buzzing of the lights was the only sound I could pick up.

After a few minutes of walking and looking at each door, I finally had spotted the number, 340. I grabbed the key and opened the door.

The room had a foul smell. It wasn't pleasant but it wasn't strong to the point where I couldn't breathe.

It was just as I had imagined. Old, dull, run-down, and had seen better days.

I walked towards the window to let in some fresh air as I examined the room. I pushed the curtains to the side and pulled on the knob. It came off suddenly.

"Crap!" I whispered to myself, trying to put it back in its place.

I stepped back, still staring at the knob.

"It should be fine." I told myself picking up my bag as I decided I would take a walk and head to a nearby coffee shop.

I stepped out of the building and was instantly hit with a strong cold wind. I stiffened as the freezing air ran through my thin coat. I began my walk to the shop while shivering.

The streets weren't very busy with only a few people scattered here and there. In fact, it looked as if the town was deserted.

I searched for a coffee shop and found one located 3 blocks away from the apartment and went inside.

Rubbing my hands together hoping they would become warmer, I ordered a simple coffee and took a seat by the large window.

The shop was quite empty. The volume of the people's chatter was low and I could barely hear them. It was run-down just like the apartment and plain. The colors on the walls were fading and the floors were white, boring tile.

I stared out the window. Watching as it started sprinkling outside and how not one person passed by.

"Your coffee ma'am," I jumped in my seat to the sound of those words. I had zoned out and forgot I had ordered something. My ears felt hot and my cheeks were red as roses, full of embarrassment.