( 8 ) CHAPTER EIGHT | CYRUS ROWAN

Start from the beginning

I want to be the one to tell her. She'll be disappointed, wouldn't she? That I unintentionally broke a rule, even though I am the alpha.

"So, what are you going to do? Want me to keep an eye on him for you?"

"No need."

I would just have to trust that Owen wouldn't say anything. Some of our pack members attend the local schools. I'm not sure which one he attended. If I wasn't just so afraid of raising suspicion in the pack, I'd threaten some of the teens in the pack to keep an eye on him.

"It should almost be time for breakfast. Should we head back?"

While there are those in the pack who have private meals, it was pack tradition for a bunch of wolves to get together to eat. Several people contributed, and everyone who'd be present gathered in the hall to eat.

It was going to be noisy for a while.

"Nah, you go ahead. I'll go for a run then head back."

"Want me to come with?"

"I can go by myself," I say impatiently. "Head back. If Mom asks about me, let her know I'll be back soon."

"Okay."

He turns to leave, and I wait until he is gone to start walking. I need to clear my head.

The forest, at this time of year, is covered in snow. Lower down the mountain, all the snow melted when summer came, for a brief period, but it only left mud behind.

Since I got back home yesterday, I haven't been able to stop thinking about Owen. Besides the shit with him seeing my eyes change, there was the mystery of his scent.

My wolf has been restless since I left him yesterday, or I wouldn't have woken up so early to take a walk in the woods. Levi was up and ended up following me, but it wasn't usual for me to be up and about at sunrise. I was usually one of the late arrivers at breakfast, usually, so I could eat with Mom in a quieter, more private setting.

She hasn't gotten used to crowds just yet.

It hasn't taken me long to find the restless energy in my body. I want--need to shift and run, and I want to track down Owen's scent.

But I know I shouldn't, for a number of reasons. My wolf gets a little too enthusiastic about him, I don't need any more accidents happening.

A growl escapes and I take off. If I want to run in shifted form, I had to find someplace to leave my clothes, but they'd just get damp from all the snow. So I run on two feet.

Cold wind whips against my face, stinging my skin. It's bearable, though. I'm dressed lightly in black jeans, a baby blue t-shirt, and a thin jean jacket, but my body has always run a little warm. I can run around naked and I wouldn't freeze to death. Amazing what being a wolf is like, right?

I have no destination in mind. I just chose a direction in mind, so why did I end up by the main road?

As soon as I catch sight of it, I stop a distance away. I have good eyesight, even with the trees in the way, I notice it from several yards away. I should immediately turn back, but I hesitate.