Chapter Thirty-One - The Usual Suspects

Start from the beginning

Conclusion: Based on the results above, John Doe and Jill St. John are most likely half-siblings.

It confirms our theory that our two ghosts are related by blood. So why did Lucy St. John—or Lucy Manning, her maiden name—not written in the birth certificate?

"The best possible explanation as to why Lucy Manning's name wasn't the one written as the mother in his birth certificate is probably because he was legally adopted," Lucas continues, answering my silent question.

"Adopted?" I ask. " But John—I mean, Will—looks a lot like his father."

"It's possible that Henry Volker was his biological father," he answers.

I raise my brow. "Now you're confusing me."

He takes out a deep breath before he patiently explains, "According to rumors, Lucy Manning and Henry Volker used to date in the early 80s. When she got pregnant, I presume her father sent her to LA to cover it up. You know how it is back then; small town, nosy people..." He pauses, his expression tells me he just realized things are still the same now.

"Anyway, Lucy Manning and Henry Volker moved to LA at around the same time, in which during that time, she gave birth to a son. Although according to records, in the summer of 1983, Lucy Manning already attended USC, in which she lived in a dorm room on the campus. So, I presume, she left her kid in the care of the child's father."

He pauses for a while, probably unsure if I understand what he means. I give several nods to let him continue.

"Eventually, Henry Volker married Theresa Scott in 1988. After Henry got married, it's possible he and his wife decided to legally adopt his son, therefore erasing Lucy Manning's name from the birth certificate. Believe it or not, things like these happen more often than you think, especially when the other birth parent is out of the picture. It makes it easier when they're enrolling their child in schools or taking care of legal documents and such," Lucas explains.

I glance at Will, whose expression is calm and serious. He seems to be processing this quite well considering the harsh nature of his past. I mean... to find out that your own mother doesn't want you in her life? If I were him, I'd be devastated. But, he doesn't even blink. I guess he must've known about this deep down in his heart.

"Okay... What else do you know about him?" I ask.

"Before they moved back to Casa Nova in 1990, they lived in LA for several years. During that time, his father straightened up his act, took night school and got his degree in construction. Not to speak ill of the dead, but Henry was quite a delinquent back in his youth. He once lit the town hall on fire with his peers, which included Lucy Manning. Luckily, his adult life fares much better." Lucas looks to Will, "It looks like having you really changed his life for the better."

A small, proud smile is formed on the corner of Will's mouth. But it's not long before his expression turns into a mix of confusion and slight terror, "Hold on a second, what do you mean, the dead? Is my father..."

I exhale before relaying the message, "He's asking what happened to his dad."

Lucas takes out another paper from the file and reads it aloud for us. "Theresa Scott died in 1995 during childbirth along with her baby here in Casa Nova while Henry Volker died of lung cancer in 2011." Lucas pauses for a while. Then, he looks to Will with sympathy in his eyes and says politely, "Sorry."

I turn to look at Will, whose expression turns morose. Unlike before, it seems like the news about his father really takes a toll on him.

Will clears his throat after a while, seemingly getting a hold of himself. "Go on," he says, his voice wavers a little bit.