Chapter 4

"Granny!"

Miss Young looked at her granddaughter with a smile. "Baby, I was born at night. Not last night. You grown."

Charlie couldn't help the heat from creeping up her neck and filling her face with a deep blush. She couldn't believe what her elderly grandmother had just told her. Alejandro had just walked through the door as soon as those words left her lips. As soon as his eyes landed on Charlie, he couldn't help the smile that found its way onto his. She was simply breathtaking.

"Hey, Granny. Hey, baby girl. How are two of my favorite women doing today?" Alejandro asked.

Granny smirked. "If Charlie don't get some action soon, she jus' might turn into a magnet. Baby wearing the hell out of those batteries."

Alejandro burst out laughing at Granny's words and the look of horror on Charlie's face. "Gotdamn! It's been that tough for you, Char?" Alejandro teased.

Charlie's cheeks heated up even more. "Fuck you!" she mumbled with a glare.

"From the way you workout those batteries, you need him to!" Granny butted in with a loud laugh, teasing her granddaughter even further.

Charlie narrowed her eyes at her grandmother. "Really, Granny? Really?"

Miss Young shrugged as she brought her glass of sweet tea to her smiling lips.

Alejandro chuckled at the older woman. There were never any dull moments where the older woman was concerned. She never failed to make him laugh with a personality that was one of a kind. Charlie's grandfather must have had to stay on his toes when he was alive. There was no debating about that! The woman was something else and he adored her more and more every time he was in her company.

Charlie rolled her eyes at her grandmother's childishness before turning to Alejandro. "Are you ready?"

"Whenever you are," he said, putting his hands in his pockets. The look on Charlie's face had him wanting to do some things to her that would scare her grandmother for life. "You packed your bag yet?" 

Charlie nodded. "Let me go grab it, then we can head out." Without another word she turned on her heel and headed to her bedroom to grab her things.

Alejandro turned to Granny. "You just can't help yourself, can you?" he asked, as he walked over and kissed her on her cheek.

Granny chuckled sweetly. "Those feathers sure do get ruffled easily, don't they?"

He couldn't help but laugh. Granny was right as always. Charlie made it so easy to tease her. For the girl to be so outspoken and so very straightforward, she couldn't handle a good tease.

"Yes, ma'am. You get her red in the face every time."

Granny laughed lightly, taking another sip of her tea before standing. "I should be back from my women's meeting in a few days. You take care of my baby, you hear?"

Alejandro nodded. "You sure you need to be doing all that traveling though? Charlie told me you hadn't been feeling too well and something about your blood sugar getting too high."

Granny rolled her eyes. "Charlie need to mind her business."

Alejandro chuckled. "Says the woman that's spreading all Charlie's business." At his words Granny sucked her teeth. "Don't even start with that, Big Mama. Just tell me."

With a roll of her neck, Granny put her hands on her hips with a deep sigh. "Baby took me to the doctor the other day. You know I'm a diabetic. I have a bit of nerve damage in my left leg. It ain't getting enough blood circulation. It's just somethin' they watching. Nothing for you or Charlie Girl to be worried about."