Chapter Two: Taste of Things to Come

"You look exhausted," mused Axel as he stepped into his bedroom, the following weekend, when we'd finally managed to carve out some time to stay at his place. He crossed over to his bed, where I sat in a tank top and shorts, and climbed right in, his boxers riding up slightly on his toned legs, which made my cheeks heat. His undershirt was from his school, University of Illinois at Chicago, and was frayed slightly, likely due to so many washes. "You doing okay?" he asked, placing his hands on my shoulders and rubbing them, and I leaned back into it, his strong hands working away the knots that had successfully developed there throughout the week. "Talk to me," he said gently.

"Just a long week," I said softly, shutting my eyes at the feeling of his fingers digging just rightly into my flesh. "I'm just glad that you're not pissed that I checked my phone every few minutes while we were watching the movie..."

Axel's hot breath met my neck then, and I bit my lower lip as he gently kissed me there. "Of course I'm not," he replied. "Not like we were in a movie theater. And besides, it's Hailey's first night away from you."

"I know that Mom and Dad were cool with watching her, but I still worry..."

"She's your baby," Axel said, his thumbs working my shoulders. "I'm not about to complain. I mean, you told me about your obligation to her from the beginning, and I totally understand it, Iana, really. I'm not about to take you away from her. I just thought we could use one night away, but if you're uncomfortable, I'll take you home."

"I know. Thank you," I said softly. "But they promised to watch her until Sunday afternoon, and it's only Friday night. I trust them. They've modified their schedules for the weekend accordingly, and Pops and Uncle Ian are stepping in for a few hours both days when Dad has to catch up on some case documents, and Mom has to run to the diner. I know she's still a baby, but this'll be good practice for the future. Franny says so."

Axel stops massaging my back then and unexpectedly pulls me closer. "I'm sorry," he said in the moment of silence that followed. "It's just... I keep thinking about the trial and everything that's connected to it..."

I nodded, leaning back and placing my hands on top of his, which were around my shoulders. "I know. I get it, Axel, really. I mean, it's just... A lot."

Axel pressed his lips to my forehead. "Guess I'm just scared about everything, you know?" he said, his voice soft.

"No, I don't know," I replied, shifting slightly so as I could look into his eyes. "What do you mean? Is everything okay?"

He sighed. "Do you wish we could be more open about our relationship?"

I lowered my eyes, biting my lower lip again. "Sure, I guess I wish we didn't have to be so careful about who we talk to about it. But part of your job is the whole law enforcement thing. I don't think the authorities would take too kindly to the knowledge that your girlfriend is not only underage, but has a child by another man..."

Axel scoffed. "They won't care about the second part. Andy may be a douchebag, but you two were both underage when you hooked up, and no crime was committed there."

"No crime is being committed here, either," I replied. "We care about each other, and are in a relationship. Sure, our first time around wasn't the most logical thing, given the whole sneaking around and conflict of interest aspect to it, not to mention the fact that I was way too young to be acting that way..."

"Still think you're too young?"

I sighed. "No, not so much now. I've had to grow up a lot since I was a kid, and even more so this past year. Even before I decided I wanted to keep Hailey, I knew that the whole decision-making process behind the pregnancy would change my life. Not like going through with the original plan to terminate the pregnancy wouldn't affect me..."