Letter

Dear Miss Trelawney,

We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Please note that, as a Muggle-born, a representative of Hogwarts School will arrive at your place of residence within forty minutes of you receiving this letter, to explain everything to your family.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely ,

Neville Longbottom

Deputy Headmaster

I think I was in shock for about five entire minutes. I had a place at a school? Was that an asylum? What did this mean? I was on the verge of tears.

"Whoa. Whoa." I exclaimed, scanning it.

"What does it say, Cadenza?" asked my father anxiously. My mother was biting her lip. The most surprising reaction, however, was from Aunt Patricia, who gripped my wrist tightly.

"Cadenza, I need to speak to you privately. Connelly, Grace - out, please."

Looking very concerned, my father led my mother out of the room.

"Cadenza. Was that your Hogwarts letter?" my aunt inquired softly. I nodded quickly.

"What does it mean? How do you know?" I replied frantically.

"It means... well, the representative will be here before long, so they'll explain everything to you." she told me ambiguously.

I scowled at her. I needed to know the truth.

"Cadenza, you're a witch." she said. "That's how you could do your magic earlier. I suspected, but..."

"I don't believe you. You're lying! Witches aren't real!" I told her fearfully.

"I am not lying. Listen to me. You are a witch. There's no getting round it. Okay?" she stated firmly.

My eyes widened.

"I'm a freak." I whispered.

"No, you're not." she told me firmly.

"I'M A FREAK!" I yelled. Aunt Patricia looked shocked. She shook her head, frowning.

"I swear you're not, Cadenza. Being a witch is a good thing, okay?"

"No! It can't be! I'm...abnormal!" I sobbed in disgust.

"Am I abnormal?" sighed Aunt Patricia. Slowly, I shook my head.

"I'm a witch too. Lots of people are witches and wizards. That's why the are are special boarding schools for magical children. Hogwarts is the British wizarding school. There's Beuxbatons in France, Durmstrang in... well, I'm not quite sure where Durmstrang is. And I went to Ilvermorny, in America."

It couldn't be true, surely. I felt as if everything I had built my world on was a lie, and now it was tumbling down.

"What's Muggle-born?" I asked. I was very curious now, as well as upset.

"Muggles are non-magic people. Like your parents."

"And Melody?"

"I'm not sure, yet. She hasn't manifested any magical abilities like you have, so I would assume not."

"Who's the representative?"

"Probably Mr Weasley, or Mrs Potter." she answered. "I don't know, they could be busy. Hogwarts should really get someone permanent."

"What will my parents think? And my friends?"
I didn't get an answer to that from her.

Aunt Patricia pulled me into the living room.

"What's the matter, what's wrong?" my father demanded immediately, standing up.

"Nothing's wrong, Connelly. Cadenza is a witch."

"WHAT?" my mother shrieked.

"It's okay, Grace. I'm a witch too." Aunt Patricia said tiredly.

"This is a joke, right?" said my father. I noticed he was very pale. When none of us replied, he gulped.

Melody ran to hug me.

"I knew it, Caddy! I knew you were made of magic!" she told me brightly. I laughed.

"Stay away from her, Melody. She could be dangerous." my mother warned my little sister. The smile died on my face.

Dimly, I heard the doorbell ringing. It barely penetrated the tense atmosphere.

"Melody, get away from her right now."

A low male voice from nowhere muttered a random gibberish word.

"Alohomora."

My mother leapt up, her eyes wide, as a stranger entered the room.