Ch 3 Maanvi's bdy

I was deep in slumber when a sudden knock at the door jolted me awake. The world outside was still shrouded in darkness, and Maanvi's bed across the room was empty.

Then I heard Maanvi's voice from the other side of the door, "Sejal, do you want to go watch the sunrise?"

"What time is it?" I asked, clinging to the door for support.

"It's 5:30," she replied.

"Okay, give me five minutes."

My eyes felt swollen from sleep, and the darkness outside made it even harder to wake up. I rushed to the bathroom to brush my teeth, grabbed my phone, and we set off for our walk.

We ran through the trees, chased butterflies, and collapsed onto the grass, laughing.

Lying on the grass, we stared at the morning sky. The sun's rays filled the sky, creating a kaleidoscope of colors. The sun was shining brightly against the clear blue sky. I had never felt more alive. "If I'd slept in, I would have missed this," I said.

 "If I'd slept in, I would have missed this," I said

"Have you seen the college website yet? I believe they've posted the class schedules and details," she suggested.

Together, we navigated to the college website, only to discover that she was assigned to Section A, while I was in Section B. Our hearts sank.

The initial days of college are typically a whirlwind of figuring out the faculty, determining seating arrangements, deciding on cafeteria companions, and most crucially, selecting a seatmate. This choice is critical, as you'll be paired with the same individual for the entire academic year. Otherwise, you risk isolation. I had assumed that having Maanvi by my side would spare me this ordeal. However, our separate class assignments brought a wave of concern.

As the clock struck 6:30, she grasped my hand, signaling it was time to return to our hostel.

The first day of college dawned, and I was unsure of who my seatmate would be. Maanvi's schedule surprisingly began at 9:55 am, leaving me to venture to class alone. My day was scheduled to end early, while she had classes until 3:40 pm.

To combat the loneliness, I immersed myself in music during my walk. Scrolling through my Instagram feed, I realized I hadn't yet added Maanvi. Upon visiting her profile, I discovered that today, August 2, was her birthday.

"Damn, I forgot to wish her. I need to plan a surprise."

Suddenly, a Maanyvaar poster featuring Virat Kohli caught my eye. I playfully blew a flying kiss towards it, only to realize that Dhruv was standing directly beneath the advertisement. I could feel his gaze on me.

A thought crossed my mind, 'Did I unintentionally send a flying kiss Dhruv's way?' It took a moment for the reality of the situation to sink in.

"Oh, God. No. No. This can't be happening. This isn't real." I felt lightheaded. This was certainly not how I envisioned my first day of engineering. Dhruv, on the other hand, wore a puzzled expression. His gaze made me want to disappear. I was on the verge of tears. Glancing at the time, I realized it was nearly 8:45. I was running late.

In a panic, I pretended to receive a call on my phone and sprinted away, channeling my inner Usain Bolt.

Finding my class took a few more minutes. I entered at 8:59, scanning the room for an available seat. As expected, everyone had already formed groups.

I found myself alone on the second bench. I felt like a fish out of water. I didn't know anyone, and I didn't know who to approach. The next four hours were spent in classrooms, my gaze alternating between my watch, the blackboard, and my untouched notebook. I blamed Dhruv for my predicament.

After class, I decided to treat myself to a sandwich from the nearby bakery, known for their delicious offerings. I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich for myself and a pizza for Maanvi. I also picked up some balloons and LED lights for Maanvi's birthday.

Back in my room, I unearthed my crayons, sketch pens, and markers. I took out a sheet of paper and began crafting a birthday card for her. I decorated the room with the items I'd purchased earlier and placed the pizza in the center of the room. The stage was set for a surprise.

I decorate the room with the things I'd bought for her earlier and placed the pizza in the center of the room.

As the door creaked open, I couldn't contain my excitement. "Happy birthday, Maanvi!" I exclaimed. Her eyes welled up with tears of joy as she rushed into my arms, her gratitude echoing in the room, "Thank you so much...how did you know?"

We filled the room with our favorite tunes, our bodies swaying to the rhythm. The world outside ceased to exist, and in that moment, it felt like we were having the time of our lives.

"This is insane," she gushed, her eyes sparkling with delight. "The balloons, the lights, the pizza...this is the best birthday ever!"

Her excitement was infectious, but it was her next revelation that left me speechless. "Guess what? Mr. Handsome, Dhruv, is in my class." I remained silent, unsure of how to respond.

"And how was your day?" she inquired, her curiosity piqued.

I recounted the flying kiss incident that had not only made me late for class but also left me sitting alone. Her laughter filled the room as she teased, "Now I get it, why the teacher threw him out of the class for daydreaming. Casting a spell on Mr. Handsome, huh?" Her laughter was so infectious that tears streamed down her face.

No matter what I said, it only made her laugh harder. And just like that, the first day of college came to an end.

Thanks for reading . Please vote and comment. 

As for what the future holds? "Will Sejal find a companion? Will she cross paths with Dhruv again? Stay tuned to find out..."