Oneshot #1: In which Annabeth is smart

Percy Jackson made his way through New York City, his hand in his pocket, fidgeting with Riptide.

He and his friends had decided to take patrol walks throughout the city, on the lookout for anything suspicious. So far all they'd seen was the usual monsters – pursuing them, of course. Nothing really of concern, but it couldn't hurt to be cautious.

So, today, Percy was ready for their weekly outing. He would meet Annabeth, Grover, and Tyson at the Rockefeller center and they would go from there.

When he arrived, he was surprised to see that he was the second there, the first being (obviously) Annabeth. Usually Percy was late and ended up being the last one.

He began to walk towards the fountain she stood at. Her blonde curls had been hastily pulled back in a ponytail, and her sweatshirt, jeans, and converse gave her the look of a normal teenager.

Percy knew better.

Behind the sweet façade was a dagger wielding, monster fighting, battle tactic ace who could be very scary when she wanted to.

He looked past her at the fountain.

Chills ran up his spine. The fountain depicted Atlas holding the weight of the sky. Some unhappy memories surfaced, particularly the image of Annabeth struggling to hold onto the weight herself the day Atlas attempted freedom. He remembered the way her body looked ready to collapse, but the gleam in her stormy grey eyes told him she wasn't going to go down easily.

Percy shook off the unpleasant memories. He didn't want to go as far to relive Zoe Nightshade's death.

Annabeth was still standing there, her nose stuck in a book, not paying much attention to her surroundings.

Not many people stood around her, anyways, and Percy had a feeling his brother and the satyr weren't going to be here for a while.

He should have some fun.

^------^

Percy crouched on the steps behind the fountain. Annabeth still hadn't noticed his presence.

Perfect.

He thrust his hand out, calling on his father's power, feeling the familiar tug in his gut when a stream of water began to rise from the fountain silently.

Percy smirked.

The water doused Annabeth's clothes and hair, soaking her. Percy only had mercy for the book, arching the water over it as not to get it wet.

Without even looking, Annabeth called, "Perseus Jackson!"

Percy was too busy snickering to notice her use of his full name. "What? You looked hot, Wise Girl."

"Oh, don't you dare Wise Girl me," she said, even though a smile was forming on her face. "Er…did you just call me hot?" She choked.

"Temperature wise, genius."

Annabeth's cheeks reddened. "I knew that," she muttered. She wrung out her hair and clothes, and when she finally perked up, Percy doused her again.