Chapter 27: Rolling Hills

~Breccan~

My heart dropped into my stomach and my eyes widened as I looked up at the laughing older woman, "Did you really think I'd be foolish enough to leave these unattended?" The Master produced a chain from under her shirt and three ornate keys were strung upon it.

"Well I had hoped," I swallowed, still not having moved an inch.

Her laughing ended suddenly and she beckoned me towards her, "You and that ridiculous arrogance." When I didn't move she cocked the gun back, "Get over here now or you'll have a new bullet sized hole in your head."

I held my hands up quickly and walked towards her, "Okay, okay. Let's keep these death threats to a minimum. I'll cooperate."

She nodded and grabbed me by the collar of my shirt and dragged me outside the tent, "I'm very glad to hear that."

Outside we were surrounded by a circle of hundreds of Speed soldiers. At first I didn't recognize anyone, but then I saw Hunter and Frew standing side by side with Jinx a few rows back. I looked around for Wester but my eyes didn't seem to realize it was him standing in front of everyone, I could only focus on the squirming Sera he held captive in his arms.

"Sera!" I tried to yank away to go to her but the Master gave my collar a sharp tug and I was choking suddenly. I stopped trying to get away and glared at the Master once I could breathe again.

"Ladies and gentlemen," the Master put her gun back into its holster and yelled at the crowd around her. "I would like to present to you the one who has brought us the last two keys we need to get to Paradise!" The Master shoved me into the center of the circle and let go of my collar. "He successfully gained this foolhardy girls trust and got her to lead him to the final two keys," The Master gestured to where I was piled on the ground.

My head snapped up when she said those words though and my eyes went straight to Sera, "No, Sera that isn't true!" Her eyes bored into me with such clear pain that I could almost see it.

The Master backhanded me across the face and I tasted blood as my head snapped to the side, "Silence! Why wouldn't it be true? What reason do I have to lie to you girl?" She yanked me back upright by my collar again, "This boy is our salvation!" A cheer went up from the crowd and the Master stalked towards Sera, "And this girl, well she is the key to our success." The Master laughed at her own pun and yanked the chain out from under Sera's shirt and from around her neck. She held it up triumphantly, but her victory was short lived.

"Where is it?" she demanded as she ran her hand over the single key. "Where is the other key?" She was shouting at Sera now.

Of all the things she could have said at that moment, Sera said probably the last thing she should have. She cocked her head back with just enough attitude to get under the Master's skin and then drove it home, "You didn't think I'd be foolish enough to bring both my bargaining chips into the lion's den, did you?"

The Master growled ferociously and hit Sera over the head, hard with the butt of her gun

I cried out as I watched Sera crumple to the ground, "Don't hurt her!"

The Master rounded back on me, "Where is it you stupid boy?"

"We don't have it," I shook my head and flinched when she started to stride towards me. "Wait! I'm telling the truth! We don't have it! Sera was just bluffing."

"Nonsense," The Master barked. "We watched you go into the underground city. I know Elizea gave you the key."

"The key went missing. Someone else must have it," I tried to move closer to Sera but the Master aimed her gun at me.