Chapter 23: Sensitivity

~Sera~ 

"A nice what?" I looked at Breccan just in time to feel my heart leap into my throat. The box leapt straight up at a gut wrenching speed. With the crushing force, I was squished against the bottom of the box with Breccan right next to me. It was over and, in a moment, the box came to a screeching halt. I heard a quiet ding and the doors opened.

I stood up on shaky legs, "What the actual hell?"

Breccan didn't look any better except for the grin plastered on his face, "Let's do that again!"

"I'll take the stairs," I knew I would have vomited if my stomach wasn't empty.

I heard a soft chuckle, "My apologies, the elevator can be harsh on those with weak stomachs." I struggled out of the box, elevator, and saw Brice.

I nodded, "You could say that."

He just shrugged and gestured us towards a large green couch,"Please have a seat." I all but collapsed into the couch with my wobbly legs. Breccan sat down a little more gracefully next to me.

Brice picked up a glass of a light yellow liquid, "Please, help yourselves." I didn't need to be told twice, I dove into the food. I inhaled almost all of my portion. When I did slow down, I noticed the food was quite good. It wasn't overly luxurious like the stuff Elizea had fed us. This was simple, filling and tasted amazing.

When I had had my fill, I picked up a glass of the stuff that Brice was drinking. I froze when I saw my hand, it was coated in a mixture of dirt, sweat, and overall grime. My hands hadn't looked that bad before but now that I was holding a crystal clean glass, they looked awful.

Brice noticed, "Do not worry about that, I'm sure we can find you a shower before you leave."

My eyes darted up to him to see if he was being rude but I could detect nothing. He was being generally nice and it put me on edge. "Ah thank you so much, we would really appreciate that," I looked over at Breccan who was taking his time eating his food.

Brice waved his hand, "Of course, we are happy to help weary travelers. We get so few you see, we are quite isolated so any visitor is welcome."

I agreed, "Yes, the journey here is quite difficult."

"I'll say," Breccan spoke his first words.

Brice chuckled, "So if I may ask, what are your names?"

Breccan smiled, "I'm Breccan Dolemo."

Brice nodded, "That is a new name is it not?"

Breccan blinked, "Yes it is, my mother retook her maiden name right before I was born."

Brice looked satisfied, "And you young lady?"

"Oh I'm..." I didn't know why but I felt compelled to give my full name. "I'm Seraphina Blackford."

Brice's pale gold eyes intensified, "Interesting, did you know your name means Fiery Winged? It comes from an old language, Hebrew, you were named for the Seraphim, they are the most powerful Angels."

I swallowed, "I usually just go by Sera."

He chuckled, "You should think about going by Seraphina, it is truly beautiful."

"Oh, well, thank you, I will," I looked down at my lap.

Brice clapped his hands, "Well, now that the formalities are out of the way, let's get down to business. You said you needed to speak with me about sensitive information?"

I nodded, "I am not sure if you are aware but you are the keeper of the last hidden key to paradise." The moment that came out of my mouth, I realized how rude and blunt I sounded.