Chapter 18: The Golden Flame

~Sera~ 

"My markings?" I asked. "Why would you want me to get those?"

She explained, "It would show everyone that you are truly one of us and it is what your parents wanted."

"My parents told you they wanted me to get my markings?" I wasn't sure if I believed them.

"Well, your parents didn't tell me," she corrected herself. "They told your mother's sister, your aunt, and she told me."

"Oh... My mom had a sister?" I was asking a lot of questions.

"Yes and you can talk to her," she turned around.

"Wait.. You mean she's still alive?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Yes and she has children," she was smiling to herself. "So it looks like you are not alone in the world after all."

I ran a hand through my hair. I should probably cut it soon, it was getting too long. "So when can I talk to her?" I asked.

"Well, I suppose you can talk to her once you are finished eating," she glanced at my plate.

"Oh, I'm done," I grinned.

She sighed, "Then James here will escort you down to her chambers." The woman gestured to a man standing at the door, whom I guessed was James. "And you better take this one with you too," she gave Breccan a disgusted look.

"Hey lady, if you have a problem with me..." he jumped out of his seat.

"There is no problem," I cut him off. "We are very grateful for all that you've done for us."

"Wait..." protested Breccan. I ignored what he was saying and hauled him to his feet.

"We'll be going now," I waved, too cheerfully and followed James out the door.

Once we were outside and the doors had shut behind us, Breccan pushed my hands away, "What was that for? I was going to give her a piece of my mind!"

"And that's exactly why I dragged you out here," I snapped. "We have to play nice!"

"What for?" he was looking at me stubbornly.

I counted off on my finger, "One, we need her to give us the key. Two, we need somewhere to sleep tonight. And three, I have family here!" My eyes were probably huge and they were staring at his. "I thought all of my family was dead and now I'm finding out that they aren't! I mean, come on. What would you do Breccan? Wouldn't you be rushing off to find them?"

I could practically see the gears turning in his head, "They might be related to you by blood but you don't even know them. What if they aren't the good people that I know you are thinking that they are?"

"Well, I have to find out for myself, don't I?" I couldn't believe that he didn't want me to see them.

"I just want you to be careful," he sighed in defeat.

"You don't have any right to tell me to be careful," I chewed on my bottom lip. "Whose fault is it that the last of my family was killed?"

"She just said that it wasn't the last of your family," he argued.

"Exactly, which means you have to let me go," I narrowed my eyes and walked after James who had gone ahead far enough so that he couldn't hear us.

"Wait, what just happened?" Breccan jogged after me.

"I just walked in circles around your small brain," I was almost smirking now.

"My brain is not small," he protested.