Chapter 19: Gills

~Sera~

It was much later that night and I was laying in a small bed in Mariel's little house. She had been kind enough to let us stay here until I was inked up tomorrow. After that, we would get the key and then we would be on our way. Which was better because the longer we stayed here, the more the chance that the Speed were getting the other key or were right behind us.

Either way, we were staying here tonight and hopefully would be on the road by tomorrow night. It could be tonight but I didn't know what time it was. It had to be after midnight but I just couldn't sleep. Mariel had given me the guest room but Breccan had to share a room with my cousins. I had gotten to know Anthony and Colton a little bit after my talk with Mariel. They had told me that their dad was busy and didn't come home a lot.

I asked Mariel and she said that her husband worked for the military down here. They didn't go above ground much but they rarely came home due to having so many places to guard. I had also learned from Colton and Anthony that they were eight and ten. They were right around Caiden's age. I could have just imagined those three getting along and being amazing friends. He had plenty of friends back home, but this would have been different; it was family.

I sighed and rolled over.

"Looks like I'm not the only one who can't sleep," a familiar voice whispered.

I sat up and saw Breccan leaning coolly against the doorframe. His loose black hair was curling at the base of his neck and his face was unreadable. I realized he really was very handsome but I had been too caught up in being angry at him to notice. "Breccan, what are you doing here," I asked. I hadn't changed after dinner but the halter top I had been given was hitched up and you could see part of my stomach.

He raised an eyebrow with humor in his eyes, "Just came to see if you were still up."

I hastily adjusted my clothes, "Yes, I am still awake."

"I can see that," he strode over and threw himself into the one chair that was in the room. His long legs stretched out in front of him.

I sat up in my bed and crossed my legs indian style, "Did I invite you in?"

He waved away my question with a grin that lit up his whole face, "Are you nervous for tomorrow?"

"Not really," I pushed my tangled hair out of my face while he gave me a look that said he didn't believe me. "Maybe a little," I confessed.

"It might hurt," he warned me. "Back before The Break, people got tattoos by injecting ink into their skin."

"That doesn't sound safe," I wrinkled my nose.

"I heard that sometimes they got infected and people would have to get their arms and legs cut off," he whispered.

I laughed and threw a pillow at him, "That is not true!"

"Well, they are just rumors," he caught the pillow and hugged it to his slim chest. "And who was it that said there was truth behind rumors?"

"Oh, you did not just throw my words back at me," I got up and tugged at the pillow.

He wasn't letting go, "I believe I did."

"You don't want to mess with me," I warned him and pulled harder on the pillow.

"I don't know, you're not so dangerous without that sword," he grinned.

"Who says I don't have my sword?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Well, unless you're hiding it under that skirt I'd say you don't have it," his eyes snapped down to my legs.

I took advantage of this momentary diversion and yanked the pillow away from him.