Chapter 12:Figuring It Out

A comforting warmth enclosed me. The sent of sandalwood surrounded me. My eyes opened to Magnus laying next to me, his arms pressing me to his chest. His eyes were slightly open. The golden-green of his eyes barely visible, but still there. I lifted my hand to push a stay hair away from his face, and smiled up at him. "Morning," I said lazily, still in a sleep ensued haze.

  "Are you feeling okay? You took quite a hit last night."

  "I'm fine, just a little tired."

  "That's good." He stayed silent for a second, as if trying to decide what to say next.

  "I think we need to do something about Maddi." Maddi? Our daughter? What has she done?

  "Why?"

  "I'm not sure what's going on with her, but I think she must have some type of demon blood in her because she can see the future. Don't look at me that way, I know it's true. Last night she knew you were going to get hurt on this hunt but be okay because I would heal you. You've gone on hunts before, and she's never said anything about them. I broke a bowl and fixed it, and she knew that I was going to break it. She even told me that when she closes her eyes she sees things. This is not supposed to happen in Shadowhunter children I'm pretty sure. Not even most Warlocks can accurately see the future."

  "Our Maddi? The little girl sleeping down the hallway."

  "No. The Maddi who lives down the street and is always making those decorative marshmallow things. Yes the little girl down the hall." 

  "No need for the sarcasm. Anyway, what are we going to do about it?" How is she having visions? Her mother said that she was a Shadowhunter and nothing else. But what I'd she didn't even know. What if there's some kind of blood in her that we don't know about. It could be faerie or demon blood, but she isn't showing signs of either in her.

  "I think we should take her to the Silent Brothers. Maybe they could see what's happening within her."

  "Are you sure?"

  "I'm sure. I think we should know."

  "Okay. I'll go get her." I got out of bed and saw Maddi sitting up in bed. "Hey."

  "Daddy!"

  "Come. Let go eat. We're going out today."

  After we ate, Magnus and I took her to Silent City. The sky was dark with the signs of winter. A slight breeze rustled the leaves. Maddi was interested in trying to catch a bird. Just normal kid stuff. She seems fine, so how could there be some other type of blood in her? She doesn't have a Warlock mark or anything that makes her look like Fae. It doesn't make any sense. Hopefully we'll find out today. Magnus and I walk through the dark corridors of Silent City. We were told to wait in Silent City until a Silent Brother finds us. Soon enough the spineless being came towards us. Alexander Lightwood. Magnus Bane. This is the girl? He said in out minds.

  "Yes. There might be some type of blood in her that isn't Angel or Mundane. We're not sure what it is, but it's causing her to have visions. A skill that most Warlocks can't even master. It might be demon blood, but we're not sure. We were hoping that you would be able to find out," I said.

  Besides visions, are there any other unusual things about her?

  "No. That's all we know of."

  I'll take her now. Please wait here.

  "Of course." He took Maddi and silently left through the doors. Magnus looked worried. "Magnus? What's wrong?"

  "I've lived long enough to know that the Clave is not accepting to anyone different. What if they do find some type of demon blood in her. What if the Clave finds out. They'll want to take her away because she's different from them. What will we do?" I hadn't really thought of that. The Clave is still as prejudice as ever. They will do something to Maddi if they find out.

  "You have a point. We'll make sure the Silent Brother keeps his mouth shut, well technically it is, but we'll make sure he doesn't tell anyone. We won't tell anyone besides maybe some family members, but that's it. We'll make sure she's safe."

  "I-I just don't want to lose her. When I married you, you gave me the one thing I never had. A family. I'm not about to lose my family."

  "It's okay. You won't. I promise. No matter what, I'll make sure we don't lose her."

  "I hope so."

  We wait on the Silent Brother to come back, but he's taking a longer time than usual. But he come with Maddi in his arms after a while. "Did you find anything?" I ask. He handed her to me

  We couldn't. There's nothing unusual with her blood. I can't explain where the visions are coming from, but I do know that magic was involved in her birth. Magic? How was magic involved in a Shadowhunter baby's birth?

  "Thank you, but could you make sure not to tell this to anyone? We'd prefer that no one knows."

  Of course. Goodbye. He turned a corner and left. We looked at each other then Maddi. What could this mean?  We left Silent City and hailed a cab. While in the cab, Magnus it a soundproofing spell around us. "What the hell just happened? We just learned nothing."

  "Well, not completely nothing. Is there any way magic can be involved in someone's birth?"

  "Not really. Unless they're making it less painful for the woman or something like that. Not much can be done."

  "It so odd."

  "There might be one more option to find out what Maddi's condition is."

  "What?"

  "We'll have to track down Maria and ask her ourselves."

  "But how?"

  "We'll find her one way or another." He grabbed my hand. "I promise."