Chapter 29:Home

One year. Alec has gone to work for the Clave for a year. And he's coming to visit for Christmas. It might only been a couple of weeks, but it means a lot to me. When I was immortal I wanted to cherish every single moment with him. Now I wish to do the same. With him being gone so much, I want to keep him close to me. The little one misses him too. She wants to have him home as much as I do. When he does come home he spends as much time as possible with us. Even spoiling the little one a bit.

  Even if I miss him, I know that what he's doing is for us and will benefit us. Ever since he started working for the Clave everything has improved significantly. How odd that nothing happened until Alec came along. He knows what he wants, and if it keeps us safe then he'll do everything in his power to get it done. He's been able to completely change the Accords. Making Downworlders and Shadowhunters equal in every way possible. He's also been able to sign peace treaties with the Faeries. They do their thing and don't mess with anyone, so the Shadowhunters don't have to do anything. He's gotten so much done its amazing.

  I still love him to death, and I don't think I'll ever stop.

  Tomorrow is Christmas and Madeleine at first insisted that we wait for Alec to put up the tree, but she got too impatient and decided to put it up now. I insisted that it would be a surprise for him.

  She came running into the room with a box of ornaments almost making her trip and fall, but she was able to catch herself. I can see the balance that comes to Shadowhunters so easily even without runes kicking in. "Here!" She set them down on the floor and she got started putting them on the bottom of the tree. She was so excited that she would drop multiple at a time. She would just pick them up and put them on another branch. An idea came to me. Why not turn this into a lesson? "Hey, Maddi. Can you make the red ornament go up to the top branch?" She looked at it and nodded. She focused on a plastic red ornament and tried to make it levitate. It would just bounce on the floor until she was able to get it higher. When she puts her mind to something, she'll for sure get it done. It floated in the air for a moment before shooting up on to the top branch. "There you go. C'mon you can do it." It wavered for a bit before she was able to calmly place it onto the branch. "You didn't drop it! You did it Maddi!" I said in encouragement.

  "Yay! I'm getting better at this. Maybe someday I'll be as good as you." She gave me a high five and smiled.

  "Hey, maybe someday, sweetie."

  "Since I was able to do it, can I have some ice cream?" She looked at me with eyes she knew I couldn't say no to. She's learning too fast. I got up and she followed me to the kitchen before she stopped. "Dad's home!" she suddenly yelled. She ran outside and I ran after her.

  Walking down the hall was no doubt Alec. Alec in his Consul robes and a thick jacket. His nose was red from the cold. "Dad!" Maddi yelled. She ran up to him and he picked her up. He kissed her head and walked towards me.

  "I'm home now. No need to miss me anymore." He came up to me and kissed me. When he pulled back he looked at me with a face of endearment that almost made me blush. He kissed me again and walked inside. Wow, I love him. It made me sad that he'll only stay here such a short time.

  He set Maddi down on the floor. "You've gotten taller," he said to her.

  "Mmmhhh," she replied. She ran off into her room.

  "That kid," he laughed. "I love her."

  "I do too." I brought him into a hug and kissed him another time. "Don't leave again," I muttered against his lips.

  "About that. I-" He was cut off when Maddi ran back into the room carrying a homemade Christmas card.

  "This is for you!" She handed it to him and Alec looked through it. It was converted in glitter, obviously. She's my daughter after all. It had little drawings on it that even included my extensive wardrobe. It had "Merry Christmas" written across it in red and green crayons. Alec took Maddi's hand.

  "I love it, Maddi." She grinned.

  I put my hand on Alec's shoulder. "What was it that you were saying, love?"

  "Oh, yes. Magnus this is it," Alec said. He paused to think about what he was going to say next. Please be good news. "I'm staying. For once and for all. They've been so impressed with my work that they let me leave early. I'm home for good now."

  "Alec-" I was speechless, but I couldn't help but grin. "Alec, this is terrific!"

  "I know. I worked my hardest for you guys, and now I get repayed by coming home. It's an amazing feat I've made, and I'm glad I did it."

  "You're not leaving anymore!" Maddi yelled. "Finally," she sighed. "Don't leave anymore!"

  I laughed. "I couldn't have said it better myself. You heard her. Don't leave anymore."

  "Don't worry, I wouldn't think about it. I didn't want to leave you two in the first place."

  They always speak of soul mates or "the one" as some people like to call them. There were plenty of times where I thought that someone was "the one" but in the end, they would just break my heart and leave. Hundreds of years pass and I almost give up on the thought of "the one." I didn't even believe that someone who was just made to be perfect for you existed. You were going to fall in love with all of their quirks and flaws and won't want to ever leave them. The whole thing was starting to seem absurd. That was until that faithful night when I threw a party for my cat. Who knew that I'd actually meet someone who would turn out to be the one for me. At first it seemed to be too good to be true. He's was just going to turn out like the others. He was a Shadowhunter. That basically spelled out trouble for me, but that's not how it turned out. He turned out to be the sweetest person ever who I loved more than anything. He gets anxious, but I still love him. He's a blunt person and I couldn't love him any more. I made him realized how important he is when he believed he couldn't matter any less. I made him believe he mattered, and he made me feel love again.

  If someone asked me now if I believed in true love I'd say yes, you just have to wait for them. If you wait long enough they'll for sure come your way. In my case, true love exists in the form of Alexander Gideon Lightwood.

Aw. Wasn't that great. I loved writing this, and I almost forgot to update lol. Well the next chapter is an epilogue so wait for that. Vote, comment, and stay awesome.