Chapter 10:I Have Something to Tell You

Lounging on the couch, and Maddi is with Magnus. She hasn't been too much of a handful. She doesn't cry as much as I thought she would, which is good. But she's still young though. Not even a month after we adopted her. "I'm going to be working in the office on a potion for a client. I'm going to have Maddi with me if that's fine."

  "That's okay. Just make sure she's okay." Magnus left with Maddi in his arms to his office. Magnus does potions all the time, and this shouldn't be any different. Even if he has our daughter with him.

  After a while of watching tv someone is knocking on the door. It starts off as simple knocking, but it gets louder and harder. "Alexander Gideon Lightwood! Open this door right now!" Oh no, it's Jace. But why would he be beating on my door? "ALEC!" Oh look, Isabelle is here too. Why would they be coming over to my house now? They should've called at least. That's when I remembered. I haven't been on a hunt or talked to them in two weeks. I thought it over for a second whether or not I should ignore them, then I decided I might as well face them now. As calmly as I could, I opened the door. "Hey, Iz, Jace."

  "That's all you have to say? 'Hey' isn't enough to explain why you haven't been to a hunt in two weeks or even given us a phone call to tell us why you've been absent," Jace said sternly.

  "Umm, yeah. About that. Magnus and I have just been... Busy." Shit, how do you tell you siblings "Hey, I have a child now and I haven't had time to see you guys because I need to take care of her. And I haven't told you guys because I was going to tell everyone once she's used to new people," nicely?

  "I don't care if you two have been fostering all of New York's abandoned cats. We need you back out there."

  "About that. Time has been something I don't have much of now." I scratched the back of my head nervously.

  "Why?"

  "Well. Magnus and I. We've-" Then an explosion went off that shook the entire house. Jace and Isabelle covered their ears while I was on my feet as soon as I heard crying. "Magnus! Maddi!" I yelled as soon as I stepped into the office.

  "I'm okay. We're both okay. It was just a mistake, she's just crying because of the loud noise and because she's scared," Magnus said through the smoke and he was coughing. In a second I was by Maddi's crib picking her up. Trying to calm her down. "It's okay baby." She was still crying and didn't seem to want to calm down. Magnus snapped his fingers and made his way over to us once the dust and ash completely cleared, but he was still covered in ash and dust. "What happened?"

  "Well I was trying to get the potion done, then this adorable little demon kept whining. So I ignored the potion for a second to see what she wanted, and the potion wasn't supposed to be left still for more than a minute."

  "Well you're both okay, so that's good. Give me her bear because she isn't calming down."

  "I hate to intrude on family bonding time, but what the hell is going on?" Jace spoke up. I didn't even notice he was standing in the doorway of the office.

  "Isabelle, Goldie, meet Madeleine. Madeleine, meet your aunt and uncle. You two can leave now," said Magnus.

  "Aunt? Uncle? What the hell are you talking about, Warlock."

  "Isn't it clear? Alexander and I have a child now. Leave because you're disturbing her."

  "Disturbing her? She's disturbing me. When did this happen?"

  "About three weeks ago I think. Alexander, you can explain the rest." Thanks for putting the responsibility on me.

  "Well, a few months ago Magnus and I wanted a child. We found a Shadowhunter woman who was going to give us her child. Well during Luna's wedding we got a call saying she went into premature labor and the baby was lost. We kind of gave up for a while there until a mundane woman stumbled in here with a Shadowhunter baby. She left it with us as soon as she finished talking because she didn't want her. We were going to tell you guys and everyone else over dinner, but she doesn't like other people besides us. We were trying to give her some time to get used to seeing new people. She's made progress, but she's still not exactly ready." Isabelle cautiously made her way over to us, and started running a hand through Maddi's thick, curly, black hair.

  "She's so adorable. Look at her eyes." In response Maddi seemed to bat her hazel eyes. She is Magnus' daughter.

  "You can try to hold her if you like." Isabelle already knew how to hold a baby because of Max. She gently took her in her arms and it went well for a while. "Aww, she's so cute. Jace come over here." As soon as Jace got close to her she started to scream and she stretched her arms towards me. "Alec, you child doesn't like me. There's something wrong with her."

  "Not every girl is attracted to you, Jace. Especially at seven months," I said while picking her up again.

  "I'd like to object. Age has no limit on appreciating my beautiful self." Isabelle elbowed him in the ribs at that.

  "Ignore him. We're happy for you, we really are. Just next time you get a secret child, tell us."

  "Will do. Don't tell anyone else though. We're still going to do the dinner thing."

  "Sure thing. Have fun with little Madeleine." She took Jace out if the room and they left.

  "That was defiantly something," Magnus said.

  "My siblings." I rolled my eyes and left to clean up Madeleine.