Chapter Fourteen: When the Bookworm Teams up with a Cunning Wolf |Part Two|

Start from the beginning

And like a switch, a smirk broke out on his face and the rage he possessed his eyes vanished. He let go of my throat and stepped back and that movement, his friends dispersed and they all began to head to class leaving me in a blanket of fear…

I rubbed the back of my head, wincing at the painful bump that appeared after Josh had done that. Josh never once paid attention to me during any year in high school. Even when I befriended Shirley and Celeste, he never once batted his eyelashes my way. But when I met Riley and Evelyn and intervened with his confrontation with Kat, it seems his sights were trained on me now. I was scared out of my wits and I knew his control on me would never loosened until his satisfied with my dawning of who Kat Blacksmith is. 

Truthfully, I wanted to cry. I wanted to release all the fear that was inside of me into tears but I couldn’t. How would I explain to anyone including Ivan as to why I was crying. His employees came to school here and if they saw me crying, they would immediately tell Ivan. What if they saw me with Josh? My heart squeezed out painfully at the realization dawned on me. Ivan wouldn’t be happy if he knew I was in two feet distance between the guy who punched me in the face.

Another groan escaped my lips and I covered my face with my hands, unable to concentrate on anything but on my fear. This isn’t what I wanted. I may have wished for a lifestyle I could actually be normal instead of feeling like an outcast but this is far different. I was being threatened and I was slowly falling for a woman who may or may not have blood on her hands. 

The shrilling sound of the bell announced that Lunch was over. I quickly put away my things in my bag and left the library. I tried my best to blend in with the students and head towards my class but it seemed it fail because one minute I was following the flow and the next, someone grabbed my wrist and pulled me into the girls’ restroom. A scream was clawing up my throat as I heard the door being shut closed and I looked at the two girls who had left during that miserable blind date.

I couldn’t help it but be angry at them. Why? Because instead of apologizing to me for leaving me, they were grinning like maniacs as they clapped their hands in joy and said in unison,

“Why didn’t you tell us you were into Josh Hamilton?!”

I was about to respond but Shirley quickly cut me off as she grasp my shoulders and shook me lightly. 

“Is he the one you’ve been kissing and not telling us?”

My face burned red in embarrassment. If only they knew I was actually kissing a possible killer. Seeing my flaming face, Shirley and Celeste’s eyes glimmered with excitement mistaking my blush for something else. Something they thought to be a false crush for Josh. I shuddered, repulsed by that thought.

“Oh my god,” Celeste bounced, her blond curls shimmered like sunlight underneath the fluorescent lights. “I can’t believe you like Josh!”

“No, I don’t--”

“You can’t lie to us, Mabel. We’re your best friends,” Shirley smirked.

And that’s where I had enough.

“First, I don’t like Josh. I don’t know where you got the idea where I liked him because I don’t. Just because you see me talking with him or any other guy doesn’t mean I like him. Second, you guys shouldn’t call yourself as my ‘best friends’ because best friends don’t ditch each other during a blind date where they had promised they’ll be there to the end. I am not like you guys who think about boys 24/7 nor do I get excited like idiots at the mention of a party. I am sick and tired of you guys thinking you know perfectly well because you don’t.”

My chest was heaving up and down rapidly as I said all that in one breath. I wasn’t surprised to see Shirley and Celeste gaping at me, stunned. I actually felt relieved to let that out. Maybe I was actually growing a backbone after all. Not bothering to wait what they had to say, I quickly left the restroom and hurried to my class, not noticing a familiar bald headed girl holding onto the door of the restroom.