Recap Part Two

Due to Max’s recent experiences with the Fletcher brothers, he knew catching them was not going to be an easy task at all and if Charlie or whatever his real name was had sired them, they would not give him up easily either. Max believed Adams plan was not going to work and Adam could sense his doubt.

Max was now sitting with Adam and Jack in Dreeko’s mansion as Adam contemplated what their next move should be. The rest of the pack was out hunting and the hourly updates from Derek Biggs were making Max even more nervous because they could not find them and not one vampire would say where they were even when threated with death.

Adam had kept Max by his side because he wanted to a very keep a close eye on him. He would not admit it but Max’s attitude towards him just a few hours before had unnerved him.  Just one event, just one argument could surface the Alpha that he could see within him and Adams past experiences with Carmel and Dreeko had destroyed his trust and had also left him paranoid; extremely paranoid.

Adam left the room as his phone rang again and as he closed the door behind him, Jack kicked Max hard under the table.

“What are you playing at Max?”

Max stopped biting his thumb as he looked up at Jack, “I don’t know what you are talking about,” he replied.

“I know you are worried about Rachael but be careful Max. I don’t understand what has changed your mind about him, he can sense it and even I can see it, you know that, don’t you?”

Max just shrugged and raised his eyebrows in response because at this moment, he actually did not care.

However Jack did.

Jack had been best friends with Max since they were five and they had always done everything together, always watched out for each other, they knew each other’s darkest secrets and they could read one other like a book. This was how Jack could sense Max’s tension when he eyed Adam and Jack knew if Max did not talk about how he was feeling, he was eventually going to blow.

“Talk to me Max.”

“I should be out there looking for her. It’s the full moon tomorrow and time is running out.”

“Try and keep calm,” Jack said as he placed his hand on Max’s shoulder.

Max pushed his hand away, “keep calm, are you kidding me. A vampire is planning to take my wife out of the country; he’s been planning it for years. He tried to kill Jason, he tried to knife me in my back and then he wanted me brain dead so only Draugluin knows what he has planned for Rachael. I have no idea where she is, I’ve no idea where to start looking and I only have until tomorrow to find her and I am just sitting here because Adam will not let me out of his sight.”

Max angrily slammed his fist down on the table so hard, he actually cracked it.

“How am I supposed to find her? I wish Jason was here, he would know what to do and what to say to Adam. I love her Jack and I just want her back.”

 Jack now thought back to the first time he had realised that Max liked Rachael.

They had been playing football together in the park and Max kept checking his watch and looking over towards a nearby tree.  His mouth fell open and his eyes went wide as he saw Max blush and then smile as Rachael Evans appeared in the distance. Jack instantly knew he was attracted to her, he could even smell Max’s growing arousal, “please don’t tell me she is the reason you dumped Shelby Max.”

Max had just looked back at him and tried to stammer a response but he was unsuccessful. Rachael was the reason but he had never told anybody he liked her and he had liked her for a long, long time.