Chapter 12: Friends, Nothing More

After Jest's remark, the trio walked on in silence for some time until Cath finally said, "You're right."

It killed her. There was nothing that she wanted more than to belong to Jest. She wished that she hadn't even married the King in the first place.

"So," Jest said awkwardly, "friends?"

"Friends," Cath nodded. "Nothing more."

Friends.

Oh, how Cath hated that word. "Why did she hate it?" You might ask. Well, because friends was a relationship status that she was being forced to adopt for whatever awkwardness was going on between her and Jest.

"Alright," Raven sighed after a moment of awkward silence. "We're almost through the wood. From there, we will enter the land of the Red Queen, stealthfully make our way to the back of her palace, break in, and steal the invisibility elixir."

"Sounds simple enough," Cath said sarcastically.

"Exactly what I was thinking," Jest chuckled, looking at her longingly.

If only.

If only she didn't belong to the King.

"We're here," Raven nodded as the trio approached a large wall. "The land of the Red Queen."

The group slowly made their way to the gate. Fortunately, it was open and had been left unguarded. It seemed a little suspicious, but who were they to question it?

They entered with ease and Cath reviewed the plan in her head over and over.

She felt very much conflicted. For when they retrieved the elixir, they would be able to safely return to Hearts. However, returning to Hearts meant being wed once again to the King. It was dreadful.

Jest silently signaled to Cath and Raven to come forward after discerning that it was safe. Carefully, they made their way over to the castle.

"How have we not been stopped by now?" Cath frowned.

"Don't question it. Just keep going," Jest nodded, pushing her forward.

The trio moved quickly through the courtyards and around to the back of the palace.

"Okay. Here's how we're going to do this: I am going to stay out here. The two of you will enter through the door over there. Cath, you are going to sneak into the vault and steal the elixir while Jest stands outside the door to make sure the coast is clear. When Cath has the elixir, the both of you have to run out as fast as you can," Raven instructed.

"Got it," Cath nodded. "And you're sure it won't be guarded at this time?"

Raven nodded. "Go!"

Jest took Cath by the hand, causing her heart to flutter. She still couldn't help but feel a bit upset over marrying the-

No. No, she didn't have time to think about that now. She was on a dangerous mission, and she was determined to make it out alive.

Cautiously, Jest opened the door, which gave a loud creak. The pair winced in unison. If anyone heard that...well, let's just say it wouldn't end well for neither Cath nor Jest.

Cath stepped froward to enter, but Jest put up a hand to stop her. "Let me," he whispered. Slowly, he stepped into the very red throne room.