Alexa paid attention.

I was too tired to give a shit.

"What about the mother?" the youngest-looking midwife asked whilst reading the non-disclosure agreement. "What if she encounters problems or complications during labour and delivery? She might need to go to the hospital."

I grunted non-committedly. "Blaire can bleed out, for all I care."

"No," Alexa spoke with graceful confidence. "Nate is uncertified but experienced. He can manage any setbacks if complications happen to arise. You cannot let her die," she stressed the importance of an undeserving woman's survival. "Her admittance is imperative."

Heedless of the scrutinisation in the room, I ordered the midwives to leave us alone, and collectively, after stacking the signed non-disclosure agreements on the desk, they exited the office.

"If compelling evidence comes to light, Liam can apply for a retrial." Alexa sat cross-legged on the desk. "He can be retried for the offence."

"A false rape allegation is an imprisonable offence. Under different circumstances, I'd agree with you. I'd demand a retrial to clear Warren's name and send the bitch to prison in replacement. But you forget, rape is not the only charged offence. He was sentenced to a whole life order for multiple criminal offences. Imprisonment without parole."

Her jaw clenched.

"Blaire's admittance will not make a dent in his sentence. A measly stint for her participation in the court will not cut it. I will not relax until she is dead. Tonight, she will breathe her last breath, whether it be labour or to the end of a gun."

"Look at the life-changing effects my husband has faced. Public disdain and ridicule. Defamation and the besmirching of his name. Online mugshots and identity charges. Blaire's admittance might not shorten Liam's sentence, but her truth can sway the public. Her honesty can vindicate him. His reputation will not be disgraced. He will not be defined by rape." Keeping one hand on her stomach, she slipped down from the desk, came to my side and laid a palm on my shoulder. "I do not ask for mercy. I ask for more time."

"To err on the side of caution, I made an agreement with Blaire." Imbibing a tipple of whiskey, I kicked my feet onto the visitors' chair, legs stretching out for comfort. "You remember."

"Yes, when she first arrived at the estate. You promised no harm would come to her baby if she recorded a video of herself, declaring Liam innocent of the crimes she falsely accused." Her backside returned to the desk. "For her to tell the world she lied in the court of law."

"And she said, 'Nobody will believe this nonsense. It is obvious I am distressed and held against my will.'"

"Vincent called her acting 'Oscar-worthy.'" Alexa smiled with her eyes. "He is not wrong. Her tears were believable. Did she ever agree to do the video in exchange for her son's safety?"

I never sought definitiveness. I knew, threat or not, she would never accede to the request. "For the sake of argument, let's say the labour goes well and, to my dismay, she does not bleed to death. How can I pressurise a deranged woman to do us a favour? If you think she will do the recording, admit fault, and hold herself accountable with good grace, you are crazier than you look. If anything, her situation will scream coercion, especially if she winds up dead. I do not need additional stress or inconvenience on my doorstep because the bitch beseeched on a live stream prior to her disappearance."

"Why not a pre-recorded video?"

"Live streams are more authentic," I said, and her shoulders slumped. "You want the public to believe in Warren's innocence. That means unanimous sympathy votes." I left the glass on the desk. "Listen, I want to clear his name as much as you do, but I have zero faith in that woman. Her voice could do more damage."