Chapter 4

"Wes, talk to Wren, would you," my Dad suggested.

My jaw dropped. "What? Why me? I wasn't the one who came up with this - I'm sorry to say this grandpa Joe, this promise is just too absurd and unreasonable."

"Wes!" my father warned.

"No, my grandson is right, Eric. The children are still young they still have their whole lives ahead of them. I can't exactly ask them to put that on hold for a promise I made to my dear friend, may God rest his wonderful soul."

I turned my head and rolled my eyes. I knew Grandpa Joe was a war hero but I didn't mistake him for a melodramatic person as well. Right now he was acting pitiful just so we can give in to his wish. I've known him well enough, believe me. It's not that I don't love him, because I do, he just tends to be unreasonable at times. Like right now.

"No," my father responded. "Since this was dad's last wish we will honor it. Wes will marry Wren if Tim and Cara will allow."

Uncle Tim nodded his approval. "The children will marry," he said with a firm tone earning a look of disappointment from Aunt Cara.

"I should go and check on Wren," Aunt Cara suggested from her seat. I could tell she didn't like what the men were discussing, my mom too looked uncomfortable as she shifted for the tenth time in her seat. I understood how they felt perfectly, no mother wanted their children to be married off so soon.

"Wes will check on Wren, Cara. Let the children spend some time together," Uncle Tim said.

I wanted to protest but my dad was giving me a 'don't-you-dare' look, so I just stood and marched up the steps.

Wren's door had the 'Don't Disturb' sign hanging off on it.

I knocked softly. "It's me, Wes."

"Can't you see the sign?" Wren yelled from inside.

"I'm not blind, besides, I gave you the stupid sign," I said as I opened the door.

Wren sprang up from under the covers, her eyes puffy and red. "If you were planning on just barging in, why bother knocking?"

I chuckled. "Well, I wanted to give you a chance to be decent," I replied.

"You never did that before," she muttered.

"Why would I, there was nothing to see then."

"Oopmh!" I massaged my head lightly. Wren had just whacked me with a pillow and not so softly I might add.

"You didn't have to do that; I'm not the one responsible for this mess."

Wren's expression changed into a determined one. "That means you don't want to marry me as well too, right?"

I didn't answer. Wren moved so she was in front of me. "Don't tell me you want to marry me!" she exclaimed, narrowing her eyes at me.

I pushed her head away. "As if!"

"Then you will talk them out of it?" she asked with a hopeful grin.

I glanced at her hope filled expression. "Fine. I'll see what I can do."

She jumped over and hugged me. "Oh thank you, thank you, thank you."

"Okay, I better get it over with." I pushed her away from me.

As I stood she grabbed hold of my shirt. "Wait, are you going now?"

I scoffed. "Well, duh! Unless you want me to tell them after we're married."

"No, you can't do that. They'll probably blame me for masterminding this idea. So you definitely can't do it now," she said firmly.

"Right. We can't have them realizing they're raising the devil's daughter. Since you have school tomorrow, I'll talk to them about it after you leave. Right now they're probably discussing about it. Our moms are probably against this notion so that can be advantageous for us. Don't think about that now and get some sleep. The Lord knows I need a rest from that flight."

I walked towards the door before Wren called out to me.

"Wes."

"Yeah."

"Thanks for taking my side and...I'm really glad you came back."

I grinned at Wren before bidding her goodnight as I closed the door.

***

The waves rolled up right to my feet. I stood content, basking in the warmth of the sun.

Something cold touched my hand. I looked up to find a smoking beauty with a drink in hand.

"Your drink, Sir," she said with a gorgeous smile as she handed me the glass.

As I took the drink she walked behind me and began to massage my shoulders.

"Mmm, that feels good."

I took a sip of the drink and leaned back a little as the beauty kneaded below my neck.

"I could stay here forever," I mumbled.

"You can," the girl told me.

"Really?" I muttered in excitement as I turned around.

She nodded. "There's just one thing you have to do."

I took a step back, my face showing how skeptical I was. I have been in situations where someone had said the same exact phrase. "What?"

"You have to ask our parents."

"Huh?"

"You have to ask our parents," she repeated. I looked around the beach. This must be a dream because I knew for sure I didn't know who the hell this girl was, especially who her parents were too.

"What did you say?" I questioned to ensure I had heard her right.

In an instant her expression changed and her beauty fell away to reveal a hideous woman in her place. I nearly vomited from the warts on her face and the pus that was dripping from it. Her teeth lifted in a snarl and she shrieked, "You have to ask our parents."

Without hesitation I turned on my heels and ran like hell out of there.

"You have to ask our parents." I could feel the woman screaming a few meters above me as she tried to grab hold of me. Even though I was running as fast as I could I realized that at a point my feet was running on thin air and that I wasn't moving at all.

I turned and saw the witch woman shriek in triumph as she dove straight for me. We struggled as she grabbed me. I closed my eyes and released a scream of my own.

A sharp sting on the side of my face made me come to my senses as I woke up with a start. I sat up and found the familiar sight of my bedroom welcoming me.

"Phew! What a weird dream," I muttered rubbing my eyes.

A growl from the side of my bed made me freeze. Turning slowly I saw someone rise up slowly from my side, long black hair and no face.

I grabbed my pillow and threw it as I all but fell out from the other side of the bed.

"Ow, what the hell was that for, you moron!"

I sat up with my blanket tangled around me. "Wren, is that you?"

****

I'm really glad to be uploading even if its one measly chapter. Never realized how hard it was to write. I feel like there's so much I want to do but I have so little time and that frustrates me. I am going to be working on my stories and I hope to finish Miss Wedded bu this year or early next year. That is going to take some dedication and efforts but I am determined to reach this goal. 

Happy reading :)