Chapter 5

"No, it's your fairy godmother! Of course it me, you dummy. Who else would it be?" a very angry Wren replied. She stood up a bit shakily and ran her fingers through her messed up hair.

"What the hell were you doing on the floor?" I asked confused.

She scoffed and folded her hands as she gave me a scathing look. "I came here to wake you up when you pushed me off the bed since you seemed to be having a nightmare. What is wrong with you?"

"Excuse me! What's wrong with me? Uhm well let me see, you coming in here and ruining my beauty sleep that's what."

"Beauty sleep? Ha! We both know you'll need to sleep forever for that to even happen," she retorted before moving around my room and grabbing my stuff to inspect.

I stood up and pushed away the blanket. "You know you really shouldn't barge in here like this anymore," I tell her rummaging around my drawer for a t-shirt.

"Pfft! And why not? I'm nearly an adult I can do whatever I want," she said before turning to me. I saw her jaw drop as she took me in.

"What are you doing?" she asked clearing her throat as she turned her gaze away. "Wear something you pervert."

I chuckled at her flustered look. "You're the pervert for barging into my room unannounced. How do I know this wasn't your plan all along?"

Wren glared at me before looking away again her cheeks reddening. "It was not, you moron and I'm not a pervert."

I finally found a t-shirt and pulled it on. "You can look now. Although when we're married I wouldn't mind you looking at all," I teased.

Wren walked up to me and shook a finger in my face. "That isn't funny, Wes."

"Ooh, but you're blushing."

Wren's hands flew to her cheeks and she screamed before running out. I shook my head. She was too innocent. When I finally went downstairs my mom and Wren were having breakfast.

"Sweetheart come and have some breakfast with us," my mom called.

Wren looked up and glared at me before shoving a pancake in her mouth and chewing furiously. I sat down next to Wren to my dismay forcing a smile onto my face.

"So Wren, your mom tells me you're interested in art," my mom began.

Wren nodded a sweet smile on her face. "Yes, auntie. I'm planning to enter into an art competition that will be held at the end of the school semester. Winners are guaranteed a scholarship to this very famous art university."

I ate my pancake observing the two women. Wren chatted away with my mother while I tried to think of how exactly to ruin this scheme of theirs. I couldn't kill myself that was out of the question. Running away seemed like a childish thing to do too. I couldn't exactly bargain with our dad's because they would not budge an inch once a decision was made and our mom's always went along with their husbands even though they sometimes don't agree.

What exactly could I do?

I was too engrossed in my thoughts I didn't hear my mother calling me. In the end I got elbowed by Wren and nearly choked on my coffee.

"Do you mind dropping Wren off at school?"

"I don't think that's necessary, aunt Lynn. I can catch the bus," Wren offered with a smile as I glared at her.

My mom shook her head dismissing her. "Nonsense, Wes has a car. This way I know there was some use to buying it for him."

Wren stifled a laugh and I gave her a look that promised retribution which made her freeze in horror.