I began walking through the forest
quickly and quietly, a throwing knife clutched and ready, toward any resting place.

Eventually I gave up finding a cave and took a seat on a large rock, pulling my back off of my back and searching through it.

The backpacks front pocket held a box of matches and a small, empty jar. The jar was accessorised with a sleek, delicate white ribbon neatly designed with black swirls. It was folded perfectly, too perfectly for the Hunger Games, into a beautiful bow.

I zipped that back up and searched through the rest of it.

The two pockets on either side of the backpack held one, one litre flask, empty. The other pocket was empty.

The large compartment held a long, black rope with a thin white line of thread swirling around the length of it. The rope had a sharp point, like one of a spear, at each end of it.

The bag also held a burgundy red sleeping bag which was fleece coated inside, it was really soft and warm. The zipper was also black.

"Oh yeah, please have a comfortable sleeping bag in an arena full of blood thirsty killers." I muttered sarcastically, pulling at the drawstring.

I doubted the fact id sleep much at all in the next few weeks of the Games, but it was a nice thought. Especially if nights grew cold.

There was a small case in the inside of the bag, which held a knife. A beautifully carved, shiny, sharp knife. It had gorgeous detailing, a white rose carved into it. I'm guessing the capitol aimed for me to get the backpack. Im sure they are happy i did.

There were a one small black sack of meat strips inside the backpack, it was tied neatly with an adorable, aesthetic white ribbon. The ribbon was weaved carefully, almost as if it was made for a pageant, into a beautiful and delicate bow.

I snickered at the bow, it seemed like a direct insult to me. I was a capitol citizen, among the most brightly designed creatures who find entertainment in clothing and wigs.

I wasn't taking that insult to heart though, it would've hurt me more if I actually found confidence and happiness in the luminous style. But, i didnt. It was particularly uncomfortable.

I reorganised the bag, folding the rope effectively and fitting everything perfectly.

I moved things around, the food in the front with the matches and the jar. I didn't have a clue what the jar was for, maybe the food? Or maybe water? I don't know.

I stood up from the rock, taking my jacket off silently. My breathing had slowed to nearly silent breaths from the quick and faced paced pants i took when running.

I folded my jacket on top of my bag, wanting it as clean and dry as possible for the time I'm here.

I leaned toward the back of the bag, where the knife vest hung carelessly off the edge of the rock.

I picked it up when one of the knives clattered and fell toward the rock, making a large scratch against the surface of the rock.

I wrapped the vest around me, strapping the velcro and pulling the added red strings tightly to secure it. I double knotted the strings, pulling it to double check the tightness. The strings seemed to make the vest into more of a corset type of shirt.

Eventually I smirked and quietly snickered, pulling on the strings to carelessly tie them into bows. The strings had no point being there, apart from the extra security of the vest, so I guessed the capitols game makers wanted this to happen. To prove i was still the Capitols Princess.

I tucked the knives into their individual sections l neatly, making sure they were available to me at all times and easy to pull out yet not loose enough to fall.

I grabbed the shiny blade off of the Rock, the one that i had found inside of the backpack with the delicately designed embroidery along the handle.

I twisted the shimmering blade in my hand a few times before deciding where I wanted the blade.

I cut a thin line in the pointless brown leather belt wrapped carelessly around my hips. The line went through the thin side of the belt, creating a slot big enough for my blade, perfect.

Now I just had to hope the blade didn't stab me in the thigh.

It was nearing darkness, the sunset reining over us. I'd always hated the darkness, it took the power away from me. The night came very quickly, so i presumed we started the games mid afternoon or the Gamemakers decided to make darkness come early.

Now It was either, blind sighted you bravely made your way through the darkness with squinting eyes, not knowing what is watching you. Or you lit a light, not only revealing the nasty creatures but also your own location to them and other tributes.

I sighed, pulling on the jacket and matching backpack before walking silently toward a tree, my jacket swinging freely. I hadnt found a cave in the first day, so the trees were the next best thing.

I pulled myself up the tree, moving with experience as I watched for lose or weak branches. I made my way up, nearing the leaves, before resting on a large branch almost as thick as the trunk.

I pulled the rope from my backpack, hooping it around the branch and tying it tightly around my hips and waist. For extra support i stabbed both spear ends into the branch.

I used my backpack as a pillow, keeping it strapped around my shoulders but budging it up against the bark slightly to rest my head half comfortably.

Now, I watched, as the loud continuous booms of the cannons began. Notifying us that people had died, that we'd killed people.

I'd killed two, nearly three, in the blood bath before letting my final target run free. I now deeply regret that, the thought of it making me feel vile with guilt.

I had to do it to live. I had to.

I counted mentally as the cannons went off, twelve lives had been taken today. Now I think about it, that's quite a lot.

I watch the faces of the tributes light up the sky, paying my respects in my own little way with a nod of my head. The anthems taunting song lingering around the arena.

District threes female was down, along with district fours male. Next, district fives male had met death. Now the tributes I had killed lit up the sky, both of district six.

I chewed my lip slightly with sadness even though I knew it was what i had to do for survival. I changed quickly into a smirk, one i didnt mean, because I had to put up an act for the capitol to keep me from their own games. They made ways to kill us too, with creatures and natural disasters.

District sevens tributes both lit up the sky, I guess six and seven weren't that good. District eights male also took his place on the screen, followed by both of district nine. Finally, district tens female tribute ended the anthem and slide show. Bradley hadnt been shown in the sky, he was still alive. So were all of the careers, including Clove.

The darkness covered me like a blanket in the night, no lit up sky to show my surroundings. I slowly but surely let sleep take over me, and i dived into a night filled with relentless nightmares.