29. New Friends and Trouble pt 1

Mick and Rip rushed Jax to the med bay immediately once they returned to the ship, Stein trailing behind, getting in the way every now and again. Meanwhile, Carter and Ray, with directions from Rip, took their new friend to the brig. Deserey wasn't sure why a time ship needed a prison cell, but now she was glad it was there. Once the two unconscious boys were in their rightful places everyone head for the bridge. Len was waiting for them all, lazily slumping in the captain's chair at the front of the room. He glanced over them, when they walked in the room. "Eesh. You all look like crap." 

Dez snorted. "Well, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel." 

Before Leonard could retort with a sarcastic statement of his own, Rip jumped in. "How did things go with Vostok?" 

Leonard reached into his pocket, pulling out a plastic card and tossing it to the captain. "Works at a place called Luskavic Labs. Project for Savage is probably there." 

Ray frowned at the thief, but instead of lecturing him, he said, "I guess I should just be happy you didn't swipe her wallet." 

Leonard rolled his eyes and sat him, yanking a leather, red wallet from his other pocket that must have belonged to Vostok at some point. "Why, do you doubt me?" 

Ray stared at him, eyes wide. "Seriously?" 

Len shrugged, slipping the wallet back into his pocket. "I stole your wallets, too." He pointed between Ray and Carter. The two checked their pockets, and they must have realized he was telling the truth because they glared or rolled their eyes at him respectively. "Consider it payment to make up for ditching me with Vostok." Leonard got to his feet, eyeing the pair, a look of annoyance plastered all over his face. "Where'd you run off to anyway?" 

Carter shrugged. "Ray wanted to chase after Chronos." Ray looked like he was going to defend whatever reason he had for chasing after one of the three people who wanted to kill them. Instead, he let out a loud sneeze, startling Stein, who had been hanging out in the parlour's doorway, not really paying attention. "Guess the dog followed us," Carter muttered. 

Deserey perked up. "Dog?" 

Carter nodded, just as a white husky bounded into the room, wagging her tail, tongue hanging out. Deserey couldn't help herself, she let out a shriek at the sight, dropping to her knees and holding her hands. "Pupper!" The dog trotted up to her, as Ray continued sneezing; Dez let her sniff her hand. At the dog's okay, Deserey started petting her and scratching behind her ears. "Aren't you just so precious?" In a matter of seconds the dog had rolled over, and Deserey was rubbing her belly. 

Ray groaned after sneezing for several minutes straight. "I'm just gonna..." He pointed towards the exit. As he was leaving, Kendra stepped into the room, rubbing her shoulders like she was in pain. 
"Hey, Carter, your dog was outside so I let her in," Kendra said. Her eyes flickered over to where Deserey was still petting the furry animal. "Oh, never mind. Guess you found her." 

Carter's eyes widened. "Oh." He dragged the word out as he said it, the way people do whenever they'd just remembered something important. Carter looked down at the dog. "Is that why you've been following me?" 

The dog stood up, letting out a sharp, "Arph!" She moved past Deserey and jumped at Carter, placing her front paws on his legs, nearly knocking him over in the process. He stumbled but quickly got his balance again, petting the dog. So, apparently the dog had belonged to Carter in another life. Neat. 

"What's her name?" Dez asked, getting to her feet. 

Carter shrugged, lowering the dog on all four again and brushing off the fur she'd left on his pants. "I didn't even remember I had a dog until thirty seconds ago. How should I know?" He looked at Kendra, but she just shrugged, clearly not remembering either.