***

When I awoke the first thing I felt was pain, I cried out but no sound escaped my lips, I was certain at this point that hacking my own head off with a blunt axe would be much less painful.

I moved my hand toward my head, big mistake, I hissed at the pain in my arm, my eyes snapped toward the cause of it. A needle was embedded in my arm.

Holy…

A needle!

I then noticed the light yellow walls, the beeping sound of a heart monitor and an I.V stand…

Holy shit, I’m in a hospital!

I started to panic, why the heck was I in a hospital? I wasn’t—

Everything came rushing back hitting me like a ton of bricks…which wasn’t exactly helping my pounding head.

“Katara?”

I froze

“M-M-Mum?” my voice was scratchy from disuse

Suddenly I was pulled into a tight hug

“Oh my angel!”

“Mum, can’t breathe!”

She let go with an apologetic smile

“What happened why am I here?”

She opened her mouth to respond, just then the door to the room burst open.

“I need to know what happened!” a male voice shouted barging in.

My mouth fell open.

Chief Hopkins, the head  of police, who also happened to be Clyde’s father…well former father.

“Good she’s awake.” He grumbled fixing his hard green eyes on me, he had Clyde’s eyes…

I gulped

My mother stepped in front of him blocking me from view

“I’m terribly sorry, my daughter isn’t ready to be answering any questions at the moment as she needs her rest—“

“And she’ll get her rest, after she answers my questions”  he cut her off

She opened her mouth to speak, an angry frown lining her soft features. I touched her arm holding her back.

“It’s okay mom let him ask his questions” I spoke quietly, she gave me a concerned look but nodded

“Alright then, what were you doing at my house at approximately 10:30 am?” he asked with a satisfied smirk

That was the time I had hidden in the kitchen while Clyde spoke to that Saline girl.

“Clyde and I have Math together, he asked me to come over and tutor him since he didn’t understand the chapter we were working on.”

I was surprised at how easily the lie slipped off my tongue; I realized then that if I told the truth I’d most likely be arrested for the murder of Clyde Hopkins and the arson of his house.

Chief Hopkins narrowed his eyes in suspicion,

“My Clyde was exceptional in mathematics, Exceptional I tell you! What chapter were you two working on?”

Uh-oh …

Now I’ve done it!

An image flitted through my mind, a text book, a math text book.

“Calculus! “ I shouted in victory

Oh crap, calculus? Really? I am soo dead, of all things—