Chapter 26: On Top Of The World

Start from the beginning

"So, uh..." Sam looks around, biting the inside of his cheek as if debating what to say next, "how do you want to do this?"

"Do what?"

"The date."

I tip my head to the side in confusion, even more so when I see Sam's ears slowly turn red.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, is this date for Five and Sam, two friends who are going to eat and drink in a greenhouse and just call it a date just because they're alone together... or is it Five and Sam, two people who are in love with each other and are going on their first date together?"

It takes a lot for him to say that, judging by how he can barely look my in the eye. It takes me a minute to process his words, mostly because I never expected Sam to question it. I honestly had to clue how we were going to act for this. Now, I suppose, it's for me to decide.

"You mean... play pretend... pretend that we're together?" I say slowly. Sam grimaces, as if it pains him to hear me say that. I don't want to think it hurts him to even think about pretending to be with me.

"Yeah. Like that," He says.

"Is that what you want?" I ask, but he doesn't answer. I wish he would. "Because I have no trouble at all with that. If you want, I can be completely and hopelessly in love with you."

He nearly trips over his feet at that, and I see the death grip he has on his basket. I think it's the only thing that kept it from falling when he tripped. He looks at me, and no matter how hard I try, I can't understand the emotions on his face.

"It's not about me, Five. It's your birthday."

I shrug. "But it's not just my date, is it?"

He sighs. "Just please, tell me how you want this to go."

There's a lot of ways I want this to go. There's a lot of ways I wish this would go, but those are thoughts I keep only in my mind, never to be shared. I could have this, though. Sam asked, so obviously he's prepared to act like he loves me, like he wants to be with me.

I know it wouldn't be real, but it's something. I could allow myself just this little bit of something with him.

But I know that won't be enough. One little taste will only have me wanting more.

I want it. I want this so badly, for Sam to look at me in a way he never has, to act, pretend like he loves me, but I can't do that.

Not to him.

Not to myself.

"I want this to be a date for Five and Sam, two people who are going on a date because Five asked Sam out and Sam said yes," I reply, giving a half smile. "That's what I want."

He blinks, then nods, heading onward towards the greenhouse. Once we reach it, we head inside, and I follow Sam towards an aisle of flowers that are a deep purple. They look beautiful in the moonlight.

Sam grabs a blanket and lays it out for us to sit down on, then pulls out the second one for me.

"Thanks," I say softly, wrapping it around my shoulders. His only reply is a smile as he pulls out a small radio and turns it on, allowing soft music to flow through the air.

"You really went all out, huh?" I ask. A small huff of laughter leaves my mouth when he shrugs, blushing from the compliment.

"It's your eighteenth birthday. Gotta make it special somehow."

"Being with you already makes it special." The words are soft, so soft I don't expect Sam to hear them, but by the pause of his hands and the quick glance over my face tells me he did.