Chapter 9

I wasn't overly worried when Ilish was out when I got up the next morning. We were still on sick leave and there was no school. Pun not intended.

The morning sky told me that there had been a good sunrise earlier so I figured she'd gone to add that one to her other three hundred pictures of the morning sky. I decided to drop another note into Ilish's room that her half of the house was becoming a mess. It was a fairly large house and she needs to pull her weight once in a while.

As usual I just dropped the note around the door. Seeing Ilish' latest photo project spread all over the floor isn't something to see first thing on a Thursday morning. Neither is what was pounding a hole into my front door an hour and a half later. I pulled it open only to have a badge flashed in my face and a hand to grip the top of my arm. “Are you Grace Keisha? Sister of Ilish McFadyen?”

“Yeah. You are?”

“Sargent Dave Patterson and this is my partner, PC James Jones. We need you to come with us.”

“Let go of me and I will. I'm not under arrest, am I?”

“No. Not yet.” PC Jones didn't let go of my arm. In actual fact, he pulled me towards the car waiting in the driveway.

“Hey! Police Brutality much? I'm not under arrest so let me go! At least let me lock the front door!” Jones stopped dragging me forwards and allowed me to lock the door, keeping his hand on my arm as though he stood a chance of restraining me if I decided to make a run for it. I made the decision to not get into any more trouble than I was undoubtedly in and got into the back of the cruiser, reaming silent as we travelled down to the station.

When we got there I was lead into the waiting room, Patterson and Jones following me in and leaning against the wall. There were several other cops in the room, each pair watching another person. I knew each of the others too; Elliot, a boy from my Chemistry called Jack, a girl from Ilish's form called Sophie and, I hated to see it, Ilish herself.

I desperately wanted to ask Ilish or the others what had happened, but talking wouldn't help any of us. I had to trust that Ilish would be able to worm her way out of trouble. I really had no desire to be on the run from the law for a second time.

A door opened and a tall, stocky man called me forwards. I followed the man I supposed was in charge into the empty room and took a seat behind the desk. The man on the other side of the table smiled but it was void of emotion. “Can you confirm your name and date of birth for me, please? Please be aware that this conversation is being recorded.”

“Grace Mary Keisha, 8th August, 1995.”

“And your sister?”

“Ilish Jane McFadyen, 14th January 1996.” Even though the recording device was obviously recording the man still took notes.

“How is your sister related to you?”

I paused, trying to get the story I'd drummed into Ilish in order. “My dad took off before I was born. I never knew him. Just as well, too.” This was partially true. My father had died when I was five and I didn't remember him, especially a century of memories. “My mum met Ilish's dad in '97. her mum re-married and dropped contact. My mum died of cancer in 2003 and her dad died of a stroke five years ago.”

The man was quiet for a few seconds, scribbling in his notebook. “The two of you live on your own?”

“Yes. I'm seventeen but it was legalised by the courts in 2010.”

“How would you describe you relationship with Luke Jeffreys?”

Well, that was a little out of the blue. I paused at the question, my mind going blank. “What?”

“Luke Jeffreys? I believe you refer to him as 'The Bird'?”

“Oh, um, a future restraining order?” The man wasn't amused. “Look. I don't like him, never have and never will. No one does. Especially after the comments he made on Facebook about the school bomb.”

“Yes, I was about to ask about that. You were caught in that?” I nodded and waved my fully healed, but still cast, wrist at him. “Can you tell me about that?”

I sighed and closed my eyes before rolling them. “Me and my friends were caught in the blast and were trapped under the rubble. We all got away with heal-able wounds, except for Casey who's in a coma. I'm sorry, but why am I here?”

“You're here because you have a rather... verbal history with Mr Jeffreys.”

“Did he file a complaint?”

“No, he's missing.”

“Okaaaay.... but why am I h-”

“And your sister was the last person seen talking to him.”

Oh.

Shit.

“I had no idea about that. I thought she'd gone out to take photos or something. It's her usual routine when we have a good sunrise.”

“Is she always running off like that?”

I bit my lip. “I have nothing to hide and I'm sure Ilish doesn't, but I'm not saying another word until I have a lawyer present.”

“I thought you had nothing to hide?”

“I don't, but I know how this works. I say one word wrong and I go to jail for something I didn't do. Lawyer. Now.”

The boss rolled his eyes and leaned back in his chair. A moment later and the door swung open. “I'm sorry for the interruption sir, but you need to see this.” It was Patterson and he looked a little peeved. He handed a tablet over to the boss who sighed and rubbed his hand over his face.

“Get a lawyer for Miss Keisha and Miss McFadyen.” He handed the tablet back to Patterson. “Then get down there and join Jones.” The door swung shut behind the other officer and I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. “It appears Mr Jeffreys has been found.”

“That's good, right? I don't need a lawyer after all.”

“He's dead.”

Double shit.