Illness 2

A/N- so sorry for late update; my phone's glitching and idk when I can get a new one coz I'm broke lol anyways my keyboard isn't responding so this took me ages to write, enjoy anyway. There's more to come but it might take a while XD

"Mamma?" Moomintroll came into the kitchen on one of the latest days in Autumn. "I'm a little worried about Snufkin- he's not feeling too good and he's travelling soon..."

His mother looked down at him fondly.

"I know you're just looking out for your friend, Moomin," she said. "But Snufkin has been looking after himself for a long time- he's a resourceful boy. You needn't worry, it's only a little cold that he's got."

But Moomintroll still looked anxious and he was twisting his paws in his lap (a nervous habit).

"How about you take down a couple of blankets and some hot chocolate for him to take when he leaves?" Moominmamma suggested.

Moomin's face lit up.

"That's a great idea, Mamma!" He exclaimed. "I'm sure that will cheer him up. Which blanket can I take?"

"How about the thick green one?"

"Perfect."

Moomin grabbed the blanket and some hot chocolate mix, then bounded out the door, calling "thanks Mamma!" Over his shoulder.

He raced down the hill and over the bridge to Snufkin's camp, but then stopped dead in his tracks. Snufkin's tent had gone.

"Oh no..." Moomin murmured, searching desperately all around the spot of yellow grass where Snufkin's tent had been. "He's left already!"

Moomin scampered over to the letter box, opened it and peered inside. There was a small piece of folded paper; Moomin took it out and smoothed it flat in his paws. It bore a short message in Snufkin's hand:

Dear Moomintroll,

After consulting my cards, I have decided to leave Moominvalley a little earlier this year. I am sorry for going without saying goodbye, but you know that I struggle with farewells. I will see you on the first day of Spring. Until then, I hope you have an enjoyable and uneventful hibernation.

With love, your friend,

Snufkin.

Moomin let out a sigh of relief. It was okay. Snufkin was alright. He knew how superstitious his friend was: he had just consulted his tarot cards and decided to leave a little earlier. There was nothing wrong with that.

Moomin set off back to Moominhouse, a little dejected, but feeling okay.

-

It was a lie.

Snufkin's cards had not shown him anything of the sort, but he had had to get out. The frost was settling remarkably fast and the ground was beginning to harden. Time and time again Snufkin woke up with numb fingers. He couldn't take it anymore- it was time for him to leave.
It wasn't any of the Moomins' fault, and he hoped that Moomintroll could tell that from his letter. They had been remarkably good about his poorly suppressed illness and Snufkin was really grateful for that. But he just had to get to a warmer climate and try to clear his lungs and loosen his chest.

Snufkin hoisted his bag a little higher on his back and glanced back at Moominhouse- he could just make out the top floor and roof. He wondered if Moomin was in there, showing the letter to his parents sadly. He turned away and continued along the path away from Moominvalley with a heavy heart.

Presently he came to the upward slope into the mountains, and resolutely began his climb. He stopped on his way up to fill his water bottle from a stream, stumbling a little as he stood up. He felt his chest tighten at the unusual amount of effort required to regain his footing on the steep, mossy mountain pass, and had to take big gulps of air to steady himself. Before he could catch his breath a coughing fit overcame him. The coughs were deep- more painful than before- and they rattled deep in his chest and brought a bitter rawness to his throat. Finally he was able to breathe freely again and he set off, feeling significantly weaker.
He climbed a little higher, feeling himself becoming slightly dizzy with the new altitude. Snufkin shook his head. This was ridiculous! He was barely out of Moominvalley and he was already feeling more rough. He refused to turn back, though. Not after sending that letter. He'd be fine.

Several days later, as the Moomins went into hibernation and the snow began to fall thick and fast over Moominvalley, Snufkin had reached the south.

He strolled along a winding and overgrown path under the sunshine, hat in his hand, the sparcely growing trees either side of him dappling the light. He was resolutely ignoring the stabbing pains in his side and chest, the soreness of his throat, his lightheadedness and lack of appetite- instead forcing himself to admire the insects, birds and plants surrounding him.
A little further along he stopped beside a tree baring heavy fruit. When he reached up to pick one, a terrible pain burst in his torso, and he cried out and doubled over, clutching his sides. The birds took flight from the treetops at his yell.

Snufkin straightened up slowly, gasping, tears in his eyes. That was the worst pain he had yet experienced and shots of icy chill were still coursing through him. He clutched at his chest, rubbing it, trying to ease the ache. He stooped down carefully and picked up a piece of fruit from the ground to eat instead.

Then he continued on his way until he came to a wide open stretch of grassland on the side of the mountain. The grass was long and wild flowers grew up everywhere, so tall that they came up to his knees. The sun was still beating down in earnest and many birds and butterflies twittered and soared overhead. Snufkin smiled. It was beautiful. This was the kind of thing he missed during spring and summer: the tranquillity and joy of just being alone with nature. Snufkin was very fond of Moominvalley- of course, otherwise he wouldn't return every year- and Moomintroll was his best friend, he wouldn't change that for the world- but there was always something happening in Moominvalley. Sometimes he needed some peace and quiet.

He strolled into the field, took off his bag and sat down in the flowers. Yes, this was what he needed.

He took in a deep breath and soaked up the sunshine. This would stop the shivering and ache, surely.

Snufkin fell back onto the grass and closed his eyes. Everything was almost normal...

And then he passed out.