nineteen

Veronica

Veronica.

Another day at school, Shawn waited for me at my locker, "Good morning, Spark, I've got something for you."

I smiled at the familiar nickname, I missed it. He held something behind his back and anxiously rocked his on his heels back and forth, a cheeky grin on his face.

"You know I don't like surprises so give me whatever you have already, you're making me nervous."

With a smile on his face, he extended his arms forward and handed me the 'surprise'. I looked up at him completely puzzled.

"A lantern?" I asked confused.

"Do you like it?" he continued to smile.

"Uhh...yeah...it's very...useful," I tried to formulate but failed miserably.

He burst into laughter and I awkwardly tried to laugh with him, "You're such a...bad liar sometimes," he told me in between laughs.

"I was joking. That wasn't really the surprise. I was wondering if you would like to go camping with my family this weekend? I mean, I figured that your parents aren't always at home so maybe you would come with us to cure the boredom," he informed me once he stopped laughing.

"I'd love to," I smiled up at him.

"Veronica! I'm here and I have a potential suspect," I heard Alessia yell as she walked towards us.

"Shh, you don't have to be that loud about it. We're the only ones who should know."

"Know about what? Oh, have you been watching those crime shows again Alessia?" Shawn asked her unimpressed.

"When am I not watching them?" she made a 'duh' face at him.

"Anyways, who do you think the suspect might be?" I decided to follow along with the story.

"Well, I was thinking it could be Dave. You know, the guy that spoke to that girl at the party. I mean it would make sense since she rejected him," she played along but I knew exactly who she was talking about.

"Oh. My. God. You're a genius!"

-

I'd texted Davis to see if he could hang with the Jacks, Alessia, Shawn and I after school. So after I finished rehearsing with Sam and went straight to Alessia's house.

When I got there everyone had already arrived. From what Jack had told me he and Davis were quite close before their group got divided; they apparently still spoke to each other but not as much as they used to.

I went into the living room and took a seat next to Jack. He instantly wrapped his arm around my shoulders and left a kiss on my cheek.

Davis seemed surprised by what Jack did, "Jack, is there something you haven't told me?" he raised his eyebrows.

"Oh yeah, sorry man. We're dating," he laughed.

"But I thought she was with him..." he said pointing at Shawn.

Oh shit, the party.

"Why would you thin-" Jack began but I interrupted him.

"Oh, he's just overprotective that's all," I clarified which made Jack look even more confused than he did before.

We all began a conversation but Shawn paid no attention to the conversation. He sat on the couch opposite me and Jack, smiling down at his phone as he texted someone.

"What is up with him?" I whispered to Jack.

He chuckled, "He's probably texting a girl or something. Don't worry he's not going insane yet," that made us laugh.

-

Davis left for the toilet a while after, leaving his phone next to Johnson and Alessia. Me and Alessia looked at each other and I subtlely nodded towards the phone. She carefully snuck it into the pocket of her hoodie. I got up from my seat but Jack held me back by holding my hand.

"Where are you going, baby?" my heart swelled at the nickname he used.

"Don't worry I'll be back in two minutes," I told him before walking to the kitchen, Alessia was there within a couple seconds.

"How in the hell are we going to get his password?" I whisper yelled, panicking.

"I watched him open his phone earlier, we're fine."

"You've been really watching all these crime shows, eh? You're a genius."

She entered the password and went into the messages, I stood next to her and stared down at the screen. It wasn't him either.

We then walked back and she placed the phone down on the couch again before Davis came back down.

-

As I did the day before I stayed up waiting for the text.

11.11

Unknown number:
None of this would be happening if you hadn't chosen him.

Veronica:
You mean Jack?
Seen at 11.12

{Vote, comment and share}

For those who have read my book before new chapter will be coming up soon, things you might not have read before :) I'm also on holiday for a week so I'll try to update a lot <3