37

I suppose I could pretend that wasn't the case, but how likely was it that he'd believe that. So I shrugged a little. "Yeah," I replied quietly, my voice barely more than a whisper. It had been a very long time since I had talked about this, and I hadn't told anyone ever really the entire story. Everyone only got bits and pieces because I didn't want to burden anyone with the entire story. I knew it would make people think I was being overdramatic, exaggerating what had happened, but that was the sad thing. I wasn't. It all happened that way and I had to deal with all on my own.

I could tell Brian hesitated before he spoke up. "Do you want to talk about it?" He asked quietly. "You don't have to, but I'm here to listen to you."

I took another deep breath and closed my eyes, because I could already feel the tears burning. There was no point in trying to pretend nothing happened. And maybe it would be good to just talk about it. To get it all out. "I," I began shakily. "I don't know what it really feels like to lose a parent the way you do. Because you cared about your father. But... I-I do know what it feels like to have your best friend taken away without warning.."

Brian didn't say anything, he simply moved closer and pulled me into a hug, allowing me to lean my head on his chest, such a wonderfully comforting position and I could tell I was losing the battle with my tears.

"The-The anniversary was yesterday," I mumbled, knowing Brian had heard me when he tightened his arms around me a little.

"I'm so sorry, Frida...," he said softly. "That was why you didn't want to do anything this week, wasn't it?"

I nodded a little because I wasn't capable of much more in that moment. I sniffed, which got Brian's attention.

"Hang on, dear, let me go get you some tissues and water. I'm here to listen to everything you want to tell me, okay?"

"Okay," I whispered, curling up on the couch after he had gotten up. I was left alone for a few minutes, during which I got the blanket he had hanging over the back of the couch and covered myself with it. It was like a protective cocoon, but it didn't compare to the feeling of Brian's arms around me.

He was back soon, he returned with a large water bottle and an entire box full of tissues of which he handed me one before he sat down next to me again. I dried my eyes as good as I could before I cuddled up to Brian again. "So...," he began quietly. "How many years?"

"Seven, this year," I said, my voice still barely more than a whisper. "But it still hurts.."

"I believe that, easily," he assured me. "Some things just don't get easier, do they.."

I shook my head a little. "No, they don't."

"So... do you want to talk about it? Or do you just want a hug?"

"I don't want to burden you with all that, you have enough going on in your life already, Brian," I told him, straightening up and trying to calm down.

He gently rubbed my back, giving me another tissue. "This... may sound weird, but ... if you don't mind, I think maybe it might help just ... hearing it, you know? I... I -- if you want to tell me, I think it might help to hear that it is possible to continue after something like that. Is... is that very selfish?"

Was it? Maybe. I shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe it would actually help me to tell someone about all that."

"You've never told anyone?" He asked, sounding surprised.

"No," I admitted. "I never told anyone the full story. I didn't think anyone would really want to hear it all... or believe it all."

"The full story?" He asked quietly. "Is there more to it?"