11

Brian seemed a little embarrassed, but he nodded. "Yes, it was... I'm not really sure I could tell you why though," he added quietly, looking at his hands.

Somehow I didn't believe that. He didn't sound very believable when he said that, something told me that he did know why. He didn't seem to want to tell me though, and I didn't want to overstep my boundaries and force him to tell me if he didn't want to. He would have his reasons, maybe he'd tell me a bit later on. For now I'd play along. "That's okay. You're welcome here, if you'd rather be here than somewhere else." And that was true. He was welcome here. "I'm not sure I can offer anything exciting though. I was just going to have a long bath, read, have dinner and then maybe watch some TV or something. I'm getting too old for wild things," I told him, making him smile a little.

"You're not old," he said softly.

"I'm certainly not young enough for doing wild stuff every weekend anymore," I insisted.

Brian chuckled. "As Freddie would say here, you're never too old for that."

That was the first time he had brought up the band - something related to them anyway - voluntarily, casually. I had to tread carefully now. "So I take it you still have wild adventures every weekend?"

He shook his head. "No, not anymore. I think I'm past that. I don't think it's that good for me anymore to be honest."

"It does sound like it can take a toll on you. Especially because a wild evening in Freddie's company probably means more than a few beers in the pub around the corner," I said softly, watching his reaction carefully.

"Oh yes, that's probably a good way of putting it. Usually. Even though I don't join him very often anymore, it's... his kind of company is a bit different from my kind of company usually, nowadays at least." He paused and shook his head. "Don't worry if that doesn't make sense."

"I'm not going to ask, don't worry," I assured him. It was funny how his level of comfort was so different. He came here because he seemed to want something, and you didn't go to spend time with someone you weren't comfortable with, and yet he didn't want to tell me something that seemed like it would be rather widespread knowledge in his circles. He seemed to want to keep a distance between personal things and band things - even personal band things. And even though I was so curious about band things I didn't want to ask and risk upsetting him. I didn't want him to leave, I enjoyed his company.

"I appreciate that, thank you." He paused and looked at me. "May I ask a slightly more private question?"

I raised my eyebrows and shrugged. "You can ask, but I may not answer it."

Brian smiled. "Fair enough. How old are you?"

I gasped, pretending to be shocked. "And you're asking a woman that, how dare you," I said amused, crossing my legs. "Uhm, I'm 37..."

"Really? Oh, you look younger," he immediately said, making me chuckle.

"Thanks, I appreciate that you try. Believe it or not, I used to look even younger before I got old."

He shook his head with a smile. "Don't be silly, you look fabulous. And you're not old."

"Thank you," I repeated, this time meaning it because he seemed to have meant it too. "You look fabulous too though."

He shook his head again. "No, don't be silly, I'm getting old and wrinkly," he said, patting his cheeks.

I laughed softly. "No, I'm getting old and wrinkly, you're still as good looking as ever."

He let his tired eyes wander over me, smiling a little. "For how long have you been a fan of us?"

"Oh dear," I sighed, leaning back on my couch. "A while. You had been around for a bit among my friends, I kind of resisted that at first... A Day at the Races was the first album I bought."