Chapter 5 - Tactics

Chapter five

The Tactics

The training centre is so tall that each district has it's own floor. When we - Rory, Lake, Ryder, Afton, Varnish, the prep teams and I - get to the lift all we need to do is press the button that says twelve an were shooting upwards. The glass elevator is so much quicker than the one in the justice building that it takes no more than fifteen seconds to reach the top floor. When the doors open I gasp.

It is like looking into the centre of a rainbow, it's all open plan except from the bedrooms so just by standing in the lift you can see everything. Each room is painted a different colour and it's so bright that, as well as the fact the opening ceremony went well it, it cheers me up. It's like when you know your going to die you try to appreciate the good things, and these rooms definitely count as a good thing.

I am the first out of the lift closely followed by Lake who settles herself in the living room like she owns the place. I walk around the rooms touching everything, my favourite piece is the swirly vase in the lounge which is made of glass and twists intricately with itself. I pick it up and caress it's smooth surface.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Lake asks from the sofa.

"Everything." I say simply. This makes her smile. 

"And this is just for twelve, District ones floor is pure heaven!" I pretend I didn't hear what she said. I suppose Lake wouldn't see her comment as an insult to us, but it is. "I'll show you your room!" She squealed.

I gently place the vase back on it's shelf and follow her into one of the four doors. It's instantly my favourite room and not just because it's my own but because of it's simpleness. The walls are turquoise and the bed is white. There is a wall made completely out of glass and I have an amazing view of the capitol. But most of all, on the wall above the bed is a painting. It is a painting of a house. My house. The garden is different but it looks exactly the same. 

Lake see's me looking at it. "Nice isn't it? It's in twelve." It's in twelve

I stand for a while without saying anything so she leaves. I climb on the bed to get closer to the painting. It's exactly the same. I look closer at the painting and see for the first time a little figure just inside the door. It looks like she is closing the door behind her as she enters the house, her back is towards us but she is looking over her shoulder so I can see her face. 

"Is it comfortable?" I jump and turn my head. It's Rory. He's frowning 

"Er what?" I ask.

"Because it doesn't look comfortable. People usually lie down on beds." He grins. 

"It's OK." I say laughing. I turn to examine the picture again. I thought he left the room but the change of weight on the bed informs me he didn't. He stands next to me on the bed. 

"Funny, she looks just like you." Rory states matter-of-factually. I was looking more at the house rather than the girl but now I think about I realise he's right. Her hair is the same brown mine was before Afton's hair spray. I look closer so my nose is almost touching the paper and see that her eyes are brown too.

"It's in twelve. It's the same." I whisper.

"Whats the same?" He is obviously confused and so am I. Why is there a painting of our house in the capitol? And who is this woman who looks exactly like me? 

"The house. This is my house, just a few years earlier." I say. It crushes down on me like a tidal wave. The woman in the picture is my grandmother. I gasp and jump back. I lose my footing and land on my back, luckily the mattress is really soft.