Epilogue_The Sunlit Earth

April 5, 1507

Monterigionni, Italy

The rain finally ebbed as they approached the city on horseback, gray clouds slowly, but surely tapering off. The ground was muddy and slick, but they managed to remain upright as they dismounted and led their horses through the wet, cobbled stones of the city gate. The once indominable metal barricade was broken, pieces blown apart in a battle from so long ago. Rubble and charred spots littered the streets, and the black remains of homes could be seen with but a glance. A few structures did remain intact, but like much of the outlying farmland, the city was, for lack of better word, abandoned. Oh, a few people remained here and there and some repairs were underway, but the city was nothing like what it had once been. Yet, only seven years ago it had been flush with life and countless folk making a good life for themselves, and had served as the start of an Order that had become something far greater than anyone could have imagined.

Except perhaps Mario Auditore. At least, that was what Catherine was sure of as she paused in the streets of her former home, taking in the destruction. She could recall every single house and building before it all had come crumbling down, and it made her heart ache. The blacksmith was completely gone; the Doctor's office was half blown apart, and the tailor shop was barely standing. If she looked long enough, she swore she saw the pale white of bone amidst the rubble, but she would look away by then. She could barely stand seeing the buildings destroyed, but to know that people had died in them? That they hadn't escaped? Oh, she knew many had died in the battle, but it was just too cruel to think they could have died in the place they loved most.

Monteriggioni was a ruin now, and she wondered if it might ever become like it once was again. A part of her didn't want it to; she would rather it remain this way; to remain a dead thing in her memory, but that would have been wrong. Mario had always said the city would be conquered and sieged time and time again, and yet it would rise from the ashes stronger than ever. No doubt someone would come here and see the strength of its walls despite the damage; they would see what it could be and rebuild it. Someone would bring new families and soldiers and hard-working men, and they would make it into something grand and wonderful. They would make it a home.

But not her. Not her husband or family—not anymore. Monteriggioni could never be her home again, and, in some ways, that was alright. They'd made a new life in Roma, and that was where they belonged. This place was just a memory now, and it would stay that way. Still, she knew she was right to have come here on their way back from Spain. They hadn't returned during all their time in Roma, be it they were too busy or she just hadn't mustered the courage, but it felt right to come here now. The battle had begun here, it was only right now that it was over.

"I hated this place when I first came here, you know," Ezio chuckled as they walked, stepping over stone and wood on their way towards the fountain at the bottom of the Villa's stairs. Catherine raised a brow at him, and he laughed. "I was angry with what had happened and so hurt. When Mario pushed me to stay, I hated him for it even if he was right. I went along with it, though, to protect Mother and Claudia, but I hated being here. This wasn't home. These were streets I didn't know; people I didn't care for—except you, of course. You always made it easier to be here, and, well, obviously you helped me stay."

"I always told you this place could be home for you—that it was a good place. Just look; even after the siege the walls are still standing," she chuckled, but the luster in it was dulled.

He wrapped his arm around her shoulders, "I miss it, too. I miss all of them. It hurts to see what became of our home. We failed to protect it. I made mistakes and brought this upon us."