Chapter 65: Amends for Amour

Start from the beginning

Tossing the magazine back on the table, she stands up and goes to the front door. Lily is watching her the entire time to the point that Mal is afraid that her "sister" will punch or attack her from behind. Instead, as she passes, she swears she can hear a faint growl in the back of Lily's throat.

Sure enough, Ben stands at the door, looking rather nervous and at the same time kind of sad. Part of her just wants to run upstairs and hide, but she's not exactly feeling welcomed into the house. Maybe talking with Ben and giving Lily some space will allow her to cool off and not... growl at her like an animal.

Ben swallows when he sees Mal, her beautiful green eyes looking like emeralds and her long purple hair tucked behind her ears. He manages to give her a weak smile and stand very tall, trying to keep his pride intact. He can feel his heart racing and his nerve having been lost completely once he sees her again.

Biting her lip extremely hard, Mal leans against the door frame and opens her mouth to speak.

"Hi," she says.

There's a long pause.

"Uh... Hi... Mal, I was wondering if we could talk?"

"About what?"

"Something that obviously requires you to not stand in the doorway and let the bugs in," Lily interrupts angrily. "Either discuss your problems outside or shut the damn door!"

Mal looks back at her sister, fighting to keep her anger in check. Her eyes flash green in anger, and in return, Lily's have begun to glow gold.

Thinking this might mean what she thinks it means, Mal immediately rushes out the door and shuts it behind her. She pants heavily while leaning against it as if she's just run a long distance, showing her own fear and anxiety to Ben.

The two look at one another and stand in complete silence for what felt like an eternity.

Finally, Ben breaks the silence.

"She's a piece of work."

"You have no idea," Mal responds. "I don't know why, but she just hates me."

"Did you say anything to her?"

"Haven't really been given the chance; if she's not snapping at me, I'm dead to her."

"Maybe we should just go for a walk..." he suggests. He holds his hand out as a peace offering of friendship rather than courtship.

Mal's heart accelerates and her cheeks begin to flush a bit. She tries to ignore the feelings, but when she gazes upon his vulnerable face, she's warm all over. She can't seem to resist his beautiful hazel-green eyes as he watches her, waiting for a response.

Instead, she wraps her arms around herself and just walks past him, down the steps to start their journey independently.

Eventually, he catches up to her, but she tries to ignore his eyes.

"Mal..." he begins. "We really need to talk."

"About what?" she says, feigning ignorance and continuing to walk forward down the street towards town.

"You know what,"

"There's nothing to talk about,"

"Of course, there is... Mal... I'm so sorry for what I did."

"You're sorry for choosing your kingdom over me?" she snaps. She begins to speed walk faster, forcing Ben to try and keep pace with her.

"Mal, it was a stupid thing to do, I should have believed you when you said you didn't do any of those things."