Acceptance Letter

Lee Jeno was sitting in his fifth-period class, AP Environmental science, when there was a knock on the door. The teacher stopped her boring lecture on populations and walked to the door that was locked from the outside, peeking her head out. Jeno paid no mind to the situation, more entranced by the beautiful gray-winged owl that was perched on a tree branch in the courtyard, watching Jeno with just as much curiosity. That was until he heard his name being called repeatedly by the teacher who was too lazy to walk over to him. She waved him over and he begrudgingly stood, fixing his hair on his way, which pleased the girls who enjoyed the sight of Jeno.

"Ma'am?" He questioned politely, but it would take a deaf person to not here his unamusement at having to leave his comfortable seat.

"This man would like to talk to you, Jeno." She gestured to the older gentleman that stood on the other side of the doorway. His beard was untrimmed and wiry, eyes a scary red color, almost as if he was high, and he was wearing clothes that were covered in suspicious red stains. "Play nice," she scolded when she caught his judgmental glare before pushing him out of the classroom and slamming the door behind her.

"Rude," Jeno mumbled under his breath, but the elderly man seemed to hear him for he chuckled heartily at the comment.

"If she's rude, you'll hate Nakamoto."

"Naka-who? I'm sorry, sir, but I'm very confused," Jeno answered honestly. He had been waiting for the man, who he had never seen in his life, to state his reason for dragging Jeno away from class, not that he minded. Sure, he valued his education, but passing that class was easier than talking for Jeno, so he didn't pay much attention. The owl from the tree had been his source of entertainment for the past week, and although he was usually terrified of beady-eyed animals, this one calmed him.

"Here, son, read this. It'll explain better than I can." The gentlemen fished through his large overcoat and retrieved an off colored envelope, sealed with wax in the shape of an odd crest.

"Wait, I don't understand," Jeno froze when he looked up from spinning the letter curiously in his hand and found that the old man had completely disappeared. Jeno just shook his head in disbelief and knocked on the door, the teacher begrudgingly letting him back into her class. The rest of AP Environmental science passed slowly, each tick off the second hand another jab at Jeno's growing headache. When the bell finally rang, he was the first to fly from his seat, running through the crowded hallways with expertise. He stopped and leaned against the row of lockers leading to the classroom where he usually spent his extended lunch period to catch his breath.

Mr. Yang had given Jeno permission to use his classroom as a safe haven from the bustling lunchroom, although the man was usually nowhere to be seen. He left before Jeno arrived (Jeno had followed him one day, being the troublemaker he is, and saw him go into Mr. Hendery's classroom) and got back after Jeno left for English 2. His bright red Adidas backpack skid across the floor carelessly as he kicked it under the desk he sat in every day, the color matching the seal of the envelope that had yet to leave his hand. He tore the seal haphazardly, having never been the best with opening letters, no matter how much his late mother tried to teach him.

The parchment inside was as old fashioned as the letter itself, the paper crinkled at the edges and splotched with ink.

Dear Lee Jeno,

We are happy to inform you that you have been accepted into the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, per your mother's request.

"My mother?" He mumbled quietly, wondering how the informant knew the woman who had been so secretive.

The first school term will begin on September 23rd and will end in June of the following year. You will be excused from all muggle activity, such as the school you currently attend and your role as 'son' to Lee Juseok. The goal of Hogwarts is to teach each witch and wizard the full potential of their hidden and undiscovered abilities. It has come to my attention that you have been shielded from the magic world for the past 15 years, and it will come as a shock to you that your mother attended Hogwarts under my care, and proceeded to become one of the most influential witches of her year.

"This makes no sense. What does this mean 'witches and wizards'?" Jeno tossed the letter aside, dismissing the bottom half and the signature of the sender. He was a bit disgruntled, to say the least, at the lies surrounding his mother's death. They were trying to turn a tragedy into some type of Disney movie, and Jeno was having none of it.

"You're a wizard, Jeno, that's what it means." The raspy voice of the man said from behind him, startling Jeno from his rage.

Jeno couldn't help but scoff, "Bibbity bobbity boo! Oh, what a surprise, nothing happened."

The old man shook his head disappointedly, but he'd be lying if he said he had expected a different reaction from Jeno, who was particularly sensitive on the topic of death.

"Let's start over, shall we? Hello, Jeno, I'm Hagrid." The old man held out a hand for Jeno to shake with a crooked-toothed smile on his face.

"Hey, Hagrid. I'm Jeno, and I'm not buying this bullshit." Jeno rejected his polite handshake by childishly crossing his arms.

"That's fine, you don't have to believe me, but you have to believe your own eyes. Go home, pack your belongings, and meet me at the train station."

"Who the hell uses trains anymore?" Jeno yelled out to Hagrid's retreating figure. The old man smiled in amusement but didn't reply. Although Jeno had said he didn't believe Hagrid, getting out of class was getting out of class, so he collected his discarded bookbag and left the classroom. Sneaking past the guard was easy, the man had never taken his job seriously, the pay only doing good for the Rolex on his wrist and his ego. Jeno gave him a curt nod and started his beat-up Saturn. The ugly green car had been his grandma's before his, and although he wasn't allowed to drive, he rode around the streets with pride. He had passed his permit test with flying colors, and despite his attitude towards adults, was a respectable driver. He backed out of his designated spot and drove back to his house.

His father was at one of his many jobs (Jeno had forgotten his schedule after he got a third one) so Jeno could easily sneak into the house. He found it odd to be meeting Hagrid at a train station but didn't comment. He was okay with escaping the life he had. Jeno was raised respectfully by an admirable man but he felt like a burden to the world, and having his Aunt constantly pester him about his future didn't help. Because at the end of the day, Jeno had no idea what he wanted to do with his life and his Aunt heavily criticized him for that, much to his father's displeasure.

He packed a small bookbag of his clothes and discarded his phone on his bed. Jeno didn't think if he was running away that it would be very convenient to keep a trackable device. He glanced around his house for what he thought was the last time, locking the door on his way out. His bookbag was slung over his shoulder carelessly, as he was admiring the scenery that had seemed so obsolete but now appeared beautiful. A fluttering noise startled him from his reminiscing, and he nearly swung at the wing that threatened to poke his eyes out.

"What the hell!" He yelled, pupils shaking in fear at the giant owl that settled itself on his shoulder. "Oh god, nice bird."

The owl twitched to peck out an itch on it's back, and Jeno screamed. A high-pitched, drawn out, ear-piercing screech.

"That's your owl," Hagrid informed. His smile was laced with amusement that made Jeno scowl.

"What does that even mean?" He whined, the owl now finding interest in his black locks.

"He's your messenger owl. Name him." Hagrid led Jeno to closer to the train tracks and handed him a ticket.

"Uh, I guess I'll name you," Jeno watched the owl intently. "Nomin. Yeah, that works."

"I need to go, bosses calling." Hagrid winked cheekily before pulling another Houdini and completely vanishing. Jeno, who had gotten used to his sudden appearances and disappearances, only shrugged his shoulders. Nomin was upset at the movement and squawked angrily.

"Jesus, sorry," Jeno mumbled, mindlessly fiddling with the ticket in his hand.

"Wait, platform nine and three-quarters?"