Chapter 5 - Wrackspurts

Luna

She had locked her door and was now sitting in a corner, the lights in her room put out. As if she could just ignore the rest of the world and it would disappear. Maybe it would happen this time. She didn't want to meet some stupid stranger, someone she didn't know. She had no idea why she was nervous in this second, she shouldn't be. She didn't care about others people, she didn't care about what they did or what they said to her.

There was no rational reason to be nervous, no reason to be afraid. She was Luna Lovegood, she wasn't afraid, there was no such feeling as fear for her. On the other hand, if there was no fear, you had never learned to be brave. And then, it finally happened. Someone was knocking at her door. She told herself to stay here, to wait until the person left. But the curiosity in her heart didn't let her stand still. It was a mistake to open the door, it had been a mistake to leave her corner. Now she was standing here, unable to say anything.

"Hello, my name is Rolf Scamander, nice to meet you", the man in front of her said. She shut the door in front of him immediately. He was the Rolf Scamander, from the daily prophet.

"I am sorry", she whispered as she opened the door again, trying to ignore her tomato red face. This was an emergency. Luna knew that she should calm down, everything would be okay.

"Excuse me, but you have something in your hair", Mr. Scamander said, and rearranged one of her hair streaks.

"It was just a wrackspurt", he commented. Luna was still a little overwhelmed as the realization hit her. Don't say anything, she demanded herself to be quiet. And every little bit of a plan that she had had was now destroyed. She definitely shouldn't take him into her living room. No, definitely not, and this was still a mistake. He was not just evil, he was her enemy. Her arch nemesis, she should hate him, she should let him stand in the rain for the rest of his life. The daily prophet was the only direct enemy that Quibbler UK had. Her plan hadn't worked. Because sadly, some things were still there, even though you couldn't see them.

Luna wished to disappear with her wrackspurts. She made Rolf Scamander coffee, he didn't deserve her harmony tea. She didn't say a single thing, she just listened to that strange creature on her sofa. He, who he was the poster boy of the daily prophet, their new second favourite journalist after Rita Skeeter. She should really hate him. She should throw him out of her house. At least that was what her brain told her. Her intuition told her something else. And her heart whispered as convincing as possible: He can see them too. You're not alone anymore.

"So, why are you here? Do you want to interview me for your ... rather not believable magazine?", she tried to make her voice sound bitter, wanted him to go away himself, he who was invading her privacy. Something inside her brain made click. It was too late, she couldn't make the picture disappear out of her brain. He had freckles and somehow that was equally disturbing as him seeing wrackspurts. He had the freaking same eyes. Luckily, Luna Lovegood was a master in looking surprised without any reason, even if she had a reason.

"Actually... I am not", Rolf said, smiling awkwardly, as if he was ashamed of himself. Within the next second, Luna had made herself tons of harmony tea. She wouldn't survive this without it. Because now she realised what the Daily Prophet articles didn't say, what she had forgotten. He was the grand grand son of Newt Scamander. He was the Rolf Scamander. And still, Luna had no idea how she as able to survive, how she didn't already die in a heart attack. Newt Scamander had been her biggest idol, after her mother and her father. Luna then realized that Rolf had begun to speak again.

"Actually, I just... I read about your whole theory of the wrackspurts and it is really... fascinating. I just wanted to ask you about it and...", he went silent, blushing. Her brain was trying to tell her that this was probably a trap, that she shouldn't listen to him. No one ever believed her theories. And especially not the famous Rolf Scamander.