Chapter 23: Sarah Smiles

Start from the beginning

A knock broke his focus. Leroy turned around just as Sarah pushed the door open and came in with an armful of Thomas' clean clothes. "I thought you might need these."

"I could have gotten them myself."

She came further into the room and set the laundry on the bed next to the other things Leroy was packing. "Must you go with him everywhere?"

He looked up, brows furrowed. "I would be a rather awful valet if I didn't."

Sarah leaned against one of the posts of Thomas' bed. "Leroy, you're only seventeen. That's far too young to start following someone around the rest of your life—even if you're treated better than a usual valet."

He raised an eyebrow at her, a smile tugging up the corner of his mouth. It made her blush and look away. "I started this when I was ten. That did not seem too young to you, but seventeen is now?"

"You had nothing else back then. Now you're older...you should be living."

"I'm satisfied with my life, Sarah. This newfound concern wouldn't be your way of saying you'll miss me, would it?"

Sarah sighed and looked away, blushing again.

"We will be back at Christmas," he added, giving her a smile that he hoped was comforting enough to suffice. 

"With you gone, I will have no one to talk to."

"Mrs. Todd isn't a fitting companion for you?" he teased. The idea of the stone-faced woman being anything other than terrifying amused him. Sarah, though, let out a sob. "Oh, Sarah. I'll write to you, I promise. It will be as if I am still here."

"Every day," she said, stepping forward as she wrapped her arms around his middle and buried her face in his chest. "You must write every day."

"I'll try," he lied, hoping it was smooth enough for her to believe it. 

She nodded, releasing him and wiping away her tears. "I love you, Leroy."

He stiffened. "So you've said."

She kissed his cheek and hurried from the room to get back to what she'd been doing. He finished packing, leaving out what Thomas would need before they departed at the foot of the bed.

Just as he turned to leave, Thomas came into the room, his cheeks rosy from the exercise, his blonde hair tousled. He changed into proper clothes for dinner with his father. Leroy straightened his tie and brushed creases from his tuxedo. "I know what you are going to say, but just listen for a moment. I want to make a romantic gesture for Sarah before we leave. I want her to know that I love her before I am out of her mind until Christmas."

Leroy gulped. "I think not. Unless you are willing to drop everything—your fortune, your comfort—to go run away with her, all it will do is upset your father and make things awkward." When Thomas said nothing, looking down at his hands, Leroy added, "Well, Thomas, are you willing to start your life over as a poor man?"

Thomas sighed. "No, you're right, Leroy. As always."

"Good. Don't be late for dinner."

He started out of the room but turned back, stopping to lean on the door frame, his brown eyes full of gratitude. "Thank you for getting everything ready for tomorrow. You can take the rest of the night for yourself."

"Thank you." Thomas slipped away, and Leroy set out Thomas' sleepwear on the bed before he went down to the kitchen for dinner. He grabbed some extras from the Clarkes' first course sitting out on the counter.

Mrs. Todd barged in and Leroy jumped a little. "What are you doing in here, boy? Those aren't for the servants!" 

She scoffed and shooed him from the kitchen. He went upstairs to the servant's quarters in the attic and took a cold, quick bath before slipping into his robe to hurry back to his room. He changed into his button-up pajamas and shimmied under the covers with a large book. After a few hours of captivating reading, he heard his door open and close. With a sigh, he looked up, half expecting Thomas to have come along looking for him when he needed something.