Back before Freedom

Shuichi pushed the file back into the cabinet. He had one more to do before he could run home back to Kokichi. Midnight. He had to make it before midnight.

He chuckled half-heartedly. It sounded like a cinderella story. He had to get home before midnight, not because he would turn back into a displeasing house maid, but because Kokichi would be forced to leave. In a sense, he'd turn back into a slave. He looked at the clock. It was ten. If he finished up his work by 10:30, then he could go to the 24 hour store and get what he needed.

He set the file out in front of him. He just had to fill out the legal things and write the dates of his appointments with clients- uh. That word left bad images in his mind. Customers? No.. -the people he works with. He would have to call them tomorrow. Then the couple—or newly divorced individuals— would have to meet and he would have to discuss things with them about the court date.

He stretched ten minutes overtime as he slid the file into its rightful folder. He checked the time and quickly cleaned up.

He still had 1 hour and 20 minutes. It was enough time to get what he needed and make it home with one hour to spare. Kokichi might be sleeping, or no, he wouldn't. Knowing Kokichi, he probably dreaded the hour to go back as much as Shuichi did. Sleep was most likely the last thing on his mind. 

He left to the store to buy his things. Quickly, he had to make it home.

He opened the door just as the clock struck eleven. One hour. He still had one hour. "Kokichi? I'm back!" He set his things on the kitchen counters. Before he could look for where Kokichi was, a hug crashed into him. "I thought you weren't gonna make it back..." Kokichi muttered as he hug Shuichi tighter. Shuichi hugged him back. "...I hurried to get my work done...and I have something for you."

He pulled out a chair for Kokichi to take a seat. "...I didn't know you're favorite flavor. So I guessed." Shuichi pulled out one slice of cake. He stuck a little candle in it and lit it. Shuichi set it infront of Kokichi. "...It's the least I could do."

Kokichi just stared at the flickering candle. Shuichi couldn't tell if he was pleased or not. But the boy smiled and closed his eyes. A second later he blew out the candle. "Did you make a wish?" Shuichi asked as he got out a fork so Kokichi could enjoy his slice of cake. "Yes..." Kokichi said softly. He looked up at Shuichi with a small smile. "...and I really hope it comes true."

Kokichi argued that he didn't want to eat it alone, so he and Kokichi finished it off together.

Shuichi looked at the clock and didn't like the time. "...five minutes." Kokichi muttered when he saw what Shuichi was looking at. "Kokichi, I have one more thing for you. I want you to keep it." Shuichi pulled out a small wrapped gift. He handed it to Kokichi who took it gingerly.

Carefully, Kokichi peeled back the wrapping and unfolded it until he saw what was inside. It was a small flat box. He opened it, and inside was a locket. A silver locket. "...It's so pretty." Kokichi said as he took it out. "Put it on me!" He handed it to Shuichi, who took it and set it around Kokichi's neck. He clipped it together and the smaller fiddled with the heart shaped locket. "...No one has ever gotten me a gift before." He whispered with a smile.

"Allow me to be your first..." He said as he brushed back Kokichi's hair behind his ear. Suddenly  there was a light beep from Kokichi's wrist. Kokichi held up his left hand. "That's.... my signal to go." Kokichi backed away from Shuichi. "They know my location... they will be here any minute to pick me up... I have my things packed and ready to go."

Kokichi grabbed his bag, "Wait! Kokichi, one more thing!" He stopped him before he could make it to the door. With one hand on his shoulder, from which Kokichi could easily pull away. The boy with eyes full of sadness looked up to meet ones of gold. "...Don't open that locket until you've made it back, okay?"

Kokichi nodded and gave him one last desperate hug. "Come buy me again... I don't mind. You still have nine more times you could have me..." Shuichi stopped him before he could continue. "No... I'm sorry Kokichi... but I will not treat you like property. You are a person and people are not bought."

There was a beep of a horn from outside. Kokichi started to pull away. "I-I understand..." he whispered. "...Goodbye then." He left. He turned and didn't look back.

Shuichi was left staring at the door. Almost broken heartedly. He really didn't intend on actually...falling for him. Kokichi.... The boy who left him speechless, the boy who was trapped, the boy...

Who left with his heart.

________________________________

Dear Kokichi,

I wish you stayed longer. I already miss you. Even now.

So much so, that I'm willing to pay the expenses to buy your
freedom, and the freedom of others who don't want to be there.

Stay strong for me.

See you in a years time.

-love, Shuichi

(Sorry it's short but the next one shall be longer 😚)